Author Topic: looking for tips and tricks...  (Read 3072 times)

Offline fisherdude

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
looking for tips and tricks...
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:25 AM »
Has anyone ever gone ice fishing in the northeast MA/ southern NH area? My buddies and I just got our first tip-ups last year and went out for our first ice fishing trips and actually did ok. Mainly LM bass ranging from under a pound to 4 maybe 5 pounders, some good sized pickerel and many perch, crappie, and sunfish. We knew of some good spots in our town because we have fished during the spring, summer and fall since we were kids. it was more of getting a feel of how to use the equipment and figuring out other tricks of the trade. We use shiners and set them so they are about 1ft. - 2 ft. off the bottom. Is this how it should always be done or should we vary the depths more?? Also, does anyone know of any good spots in this area? or have any stories, or tips for me and by fishing partners.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re: looking for tips and tricks...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »
Sounds like you are doing ok!  You will learn just by going and pay attention to others when out there. Don't be afraid to approach other fisherman on the ice and strike up a conversation. You'll find some are more then willing to offer advice.

As for setting up i usually start with the shiners a foot or so off the bottom but i will try different depths through out the day. Try to set up near weed lines and dropoffs and move a couple of tilts around if slow.