Author Topic: Why doesnt New England?  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Niven8

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Why doesnt New England?
« on: December 18, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »
Why doesn't New England implement a program similar to what Texas had with the ShareLunker program?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Why doesnt New England?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:04:29 PM »
There are a few things being done in CT. that are similar but on a much smaller scale.

Several years ago CT implemented new management regulations for bass in specific lakes across the state. I agree with most of their decisions but I think they dropped the ball big time with Wyassup Lake.

On another note, CT doesn't offer anything in the way of a Share Lunker program.

Texas spends a ton of money each year on their program mainly because the state attracts tens of thousands of anglers every year who go there solely to pursue big bass. No state in New England can say that.

So... the chances of ever seeing a program like this here are slim to none.

If anyone else has feedback on this or info that I might have missed or may not be aware of, feel free to add it here!
Brutally Honest Fishing Tackle Reviews at TackleTest.com

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:33:58 AM »
NE doesn't have the fishery to support that type of program, Texas does!

Offline JD

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:42:34 PM »
Interestingly enough the states surrounding Ct all produce bass that are much larger than those available here in Ct. The states of R.I., Ma., N.Y., N.H., Vt., & Me. all produce some nice fish. Ct. occasionally gives up some fish over 5lbs. but a fish in 7-8lb. class are pretty rare each year. According to the state wildlife commission the average lifespan for bass in Ct is approx. 5 years. Just not enough time for the large growth, especially if you are comparing it to southern climates where the fish eat & grow all year. The Texas bass are mostly hybrids combined to the Fl. strain if my memory serves me ok, aren't they? Any theories on why Ct. is so behind the curve compared to our neighbors?

Offline Niven8

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »
Yes this wold cost a lot of money up front but it is an investment. Once New England started producing so huge fish those tens of thousands of anglers going to Texas would be coming here fueling the economy here between hotels, temporary fishing licenses and other expenses for the trip. Plus giving anglers around here a chance at one of these monsters.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 11:08:58 PM »
Your logic is correct, but the only problem is that the Florida strain of bass can't survive here in the harsh New England winters.

If only they could genetically develop a strain of Florida Bass that could do the Winter thing here, we'd be all set  ;D

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:36:57 PM »
This is note from Jon Pulharski form back in 2001.  I also saw a report that Texas bass live about 16 years.  Texas also has a longer annual growing season, thus overall bigger bass.

Old Bass from Jon Pski (192.249.47.11)  7/17/2001 5:07:00 PM
 I have been reading a electrofishing survey report published by our Dept of Environmental Protection (DEP) and it reveals that most all bass sampled in Connecticut lakes lived to about 12 or 13 years. They were also coming into adulthood, 12" at around age 4.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
That's also typical for RI also. You'll find that it may differ a little as you get further North in New England.

Offline JD

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
Being that I am from Florida before locating here in Ct. I'm with Curt wishing those lab guys would find a way to cross breed a new strain of fish for our "harsh water". Wouldn't that be nice if we could catch fish the size we see all the time from those sunny parts of the country? WooHoo comes to mind friends!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 01:59:09 PM by JD »

Offline Joe.G

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +47/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:33:55 PM »
Interestingly enough the states surrounding Ct all produce bass that are much larger than those available here in Ct. The states of R.I., Ma., N.Y., N.H., Vt., & Me. all produce some nice fish. Ct. occasionally gives up some fish over 5lbs. but a fish in 7-8lb. class are pretty rare each year. According to the state wildlife commission the average lifespan for bass in Ct is approx. 5 years. Just not enough time for the large growth, especially if you are comparing it to southern climates where the fish eat & grow all year. The Texas bass are mostly hybrids combined to the Fl. strain if my memory serves me ok, aren't they? Any theories on why Ct. is so behind the curve compared to our neighbors?

With the exception of R.I all other states have much more water. However, I would still make a point that CT holds its own with many fish in the 6 and 7's..Eights aren't in abundance but I'd bet the numbers are higher than most think and then a few nines just about every season. Considering the angler to body of water ratio I think CT puts out some very nice bass.  South Eastern CT in itself has a least 1/2 a dozen lakes that have potential for big fish over 7 lbs

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 01:15:09 PM »
I think New England bass fishing is underrated overall. But I like it that way!

So many people think you have to go much further south to catch big bass, but New England cranks out bass in the 5 - 7 lb. range by the hundreds and hundreds each year. It's just that most of them aren't heard of.

Obviously, the numbers of bass over 7 lbs here in New England and the Northeast in general, won't compare to the numbers in Florida, California or Texas, but the overall quality of our bass fisheries is not fully known or appreciated.

Offline PING JOCKEY

• Guppy
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
Deep lakes with lots of structure, cover and forage (ESPECIALLY TROUT!!!) like Long Pond and Amos have quality bass.  I would bet that the next state record will come from a trout filled lake.  I'm originally from So. Cal and most of the lakes get stocked every 2 weeks with catchable sized trout.  Obviously the weather is different and CA has Florida strain bass but I wish we would stock our bass management lakes in a similair way and maximize the growth potential of our northern strain bass.  Having lived in CA until I joined the Navy the fishing is definately different here but I really like it and the northern strain puts up a much better battle and are way more aggressive.  I agree big fish are more abundant in our lakes then most think, you just have to set out to find them, plan your day to fish for them and commit to using those BIG baits that you probably don't have any confidence in.  For as much as we get taxed and are charged for fishing and hunting in CT they should be able to stock once a week......George Perry watch out!

Matt