Author Topic: Bass Pro Shop Trip  (Read 2030 times)

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
Bass Pro Shop Trip
« on: December 02, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »
Managed a trip this weekend on Saturday to Foxboro with two other CT fishermen from Glastonbury, took about 1.5 hours to get there around 9:15 am. Able to park about 100 feet from main door.

It is easy to get to, just take the US Route 1 North exit off I-495, go up about 4-5 miles and take the first right for Gillette Stadium, signs are marked for both Gillette and Bass Pro.

Meet up with two RI fishing buddies in the fishing department and spent most of 2.5 hours just in the fishing area. By comparison it's about 50% larger then Cabelas in East Hartford but Cabelas' reel selection is better.

Was not impressed with the rod selection as they had very few higher end rods like St. Croix Legend Tournaments or Elites and only a couple of Gloomis $200+ rods. Keep in mind, as a custom rod builder, it is hard to impress me with factory rods. The fly fishing area look a little smaller than Cabelas.

The selection of other fishing items was very good IMHO, I had no list with me but still managed to find some "needed" items to the tune of over $75. Some of the shelves still had bare spots but this could be a manufacturer's supply issue, ex. no Yamamoto Ikas. The staff was very friendly and helpful, but just like Cabelas, they are still learning where the stock was, I surmise that many are just part-timers or my age retirees.

I haven't been to places like West Marine but I thought the Watersport section was pretty good with decent selections of dock and anchor ropes, pumps etc.

One of the members of our group brought his ice fishing list and found just about all his items. We had no issues at check out, it was quick and friendly but I could see where they might need a couple of more on a real busy day. We never really left the fishing department so I have no comments on the rest of the store, but like Cabelas, if you might be looking for some clothes, there should be plenty of good buys. Like Cabelas, it is worth the trip just for the experience. On our way back to Connecticut, we managed to stop at two "local" shops, one each in Taunton  and Seekonk, MA, where we made additional purchases.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-0
    • View Profile
Re:Bass Pro Shop Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 02:14:35 PM »
Did you pick up some swimbaits in Seekonk??
I fish therefore I lie.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 02:20:51 PM »
How did you know?  They sure are beautiful works of art!

I'll have to build myself a custom rod first and then cash my first Social Security check to buy one or two of those marvels.

Bill said that this year's trip to Mexico was not as prodcutive in the past for +10 lbers.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:47:17 AM »
I love going there and dropping 100 dollars on swimbaits.  You should have picked up some huddlebugs no new rod needed.
I fish therefore I lie.