Author Topic: Great afternoon on the water  (Read 7667 times)

Offline Huskybass

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +19/-0
  • Albies and smallies!
    • View Profile
Great afternoon on the water
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
Thursday was the greatest afternoon I ever spent on the water and I never even touched a fishing rod.  We were in Cape Cod for 5 days and my wife really wanted to go on a Whale Watch.  It had been 15 or so years since we went on one, and my son Carter had never been on one, so I was OK with it.

It turned out to be an incredible experience.  We went on the Dolphin X out of Provincetown.  Big boat, handles up to 300 passengers.  3.5 hour trip total for $39 each, $29 for kids.  About half the time is running from the harbor out to the hotspot and back, so its about 1.5 hours of actual whale watching.  The area with all the bait and whales was only about 2 miles offshore in 90-125 feet of water.  We saw about 40 Humpback Whales that were actively feeding the whole time.  Amazing to see up close.  Whales all over, up to 50' long.  Adults average weight is about 30 tons!  They each eat about a ton of sand eels per day according to our guide and it was amazing to see it up close.  We were close to a group of about 7 that all surfaced at once about 50' or so from the boat and I swear it was as cool as catching a 6 pound smallmouth!  Some of the whales came within 5-10' of the boat and we got sprayed a few times.  Watching groups of 3 to 12 whales work together to contain and devour the huge schools of bait was unreal. The Captain, crew, and tour guide were all first rate, it was an amazing experience.  I highly recommend going on one of these if you are ever up that way.  Here are a few photos I took:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:47:22 AM by Huskybass »
HUSKYBASS

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Great afternoon on the water
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
Very cool, Mike! Awesome pics.

Might have to check this out sometime myself  :)

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:02:28 PM »
Great pictures Mike! I went years ago and it was great but I wasnt as close as you were. And I didnt get pictures like those. Very cool!

Bob W
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:40 PM »
Funny you posted this today. We were offshore fishing today and complaining that we have not seen any whale life this year in Block Island sound. Even The Francis Fleet whale watching boat has been asking fishermen over the VHF radio everyday if anybody has seen any whales in the area and no one responds to their requests either. We have been out offshore over 15 times this year and have NOT see even one whale thus far. We have always seen pleanty of whale activity out there over the years and this year none.  So if anybody is thinking of doing a whale watch trip out of Point Judith  this season I would check first because I don't think there will be any out there anytime soon. 
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...