Author Topic: THE D. P TRAIL  (Read 19727 times)

Offline D.P G3

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +23/-2
  • I Love FISHING AND Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
Re:THE D. P TRAIL
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2005, 07:38:50 PM »
Just want to thank you guys for the feedback back and i am currently revising the list. As far as the bridges. Not to take back what i said to nitro, however ther will be one exception the may 8th pachaug tournament.
No one will be allowed to go under the bridge. Main lake only. THE WATER TEMP WILL BE COOL AS WELL AS THE AIR AND I DONT FEEL COMFERTABLE WITH A SMALL BOAT GOING ACROSS THE POND TO GET THERE IN THESE CONDITIONS. FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY. As far as the other tournaments go for it. thank you

Offline Bucketmouth

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2005, 07:39:54 PM »
I think the 5 fish limit is a good idea for a few reasons. First, as stated by the majority of the people who have responded to the question, it will allow a person who wants to enter the tourney the choice of fishing alone or with a partner and be on a level playing field with the rest of the entrants and not  disadvantaged by fishing alone. Secondly, It will make the tourneys more competitive because you will see  more 5 fish limits weighed in per boats entered as opposed to a ten fish limit. I have fished the local tourneys in the area for years and there are fishermen (and women) of all skill levels. You usually see these same people entered in these tourneys. By having the 5 fish limit it will give confidence to those who otherwise would think that they could not compete with some of the other better fishermen and not come to just "donate" their money. And if a person feels that they can be competitive they are more apt to come every tourney which translates into a full field of boats which translates into larger payouts. And lastly, with a 5 fish limit more emphasis will be on catching QUALITY fish and not just quantity, and will make the weigh in more exciting but for the fact you will see more limits. ( and quite possibly put a little fun back into fishing !!!)  Good Luck Derek

Offline densik

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +80/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2005, 07:54:48 PM »
Just a notice, if you guys look at the trail schedule there has been three tournies that will be a ten fish limit. This is to cut down on extra boats. The state will not give a permit for a large amount of boats at these locations. The rest of the tournies will be a five fish limit. As for the bridge idea on the first pachaug tourny, this is a wise decision which Stan and I helped derrick make and please if there is any grief give me the heat. Derrick is doing a good job and I don' t want to make it hard on him. The final decision was made by looking back at how many times people have had to get help in there little boats (not saying everybody has needed it or will). To many times I have seen or heard about boats needing help because they are taking on water from the wind or waves, or have tipped over while trying to make the crossing of the lake to get to the bridge. Last thing he needs is blame for what might happen. The rest of the time the water is well warm enough and there shouldn' t be any trouble

Offline Rob W

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +32/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005, 08:00:03 PM »
See now that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
What is the difference between May and August on Pachaug. I've still got a small boat and I have to motor across the same body of water. I'm still on the lookout for other boats and assotred obstructions. I'm either going to make the proper decision in handling my boat or if I can't do that then I have no business being on the water in the first place! Why penalize someone with the small boat and tell them they can't fish the other side just because the water is cold or because it is too early in the season??

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005, 08:16:52 PM »
Rob W, I have to say that I definitely back these guys up on their Pachaug decision. I have personally had to pull guys from the water during the Pachaug Ice Breaker because they brought a small boat in order to be able to get under the bridge. Things went wrong, and the next thing you know, they're both in the lake and in danger of hypothermia, never mind things even worse than that.

I applaud their decision and back them 100%!

Offline Rob W

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2005, 08:38:39 PM »
Curt,
This is where common sense comes in. If the weather is in any way a hinderance or a dangerous situation, one needs to not do anything stupid. I've been on Pachaug for the Ice Breaker in the very boat in question and I've been there when other boats have had trouble.  But, I'm wise enough to know when to push the limit and when to heed to my better judgement. But hey its there call and if I want to fish I'll have to play by the rules.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2005, 08:47:23 PM »
Rob, I understand where you're coming from. Believe it or not, though, the incident that I spoke of wasn't even due to rough water. It was due to plain old stupidity on the part of the anglers.

I watched it happen and it played just a laurel and hardy movie as one guy accidentally knocked the other guy into the water, then that guy tipped the boat over trying to climb back in over the side of a 12 foot boat. All of this in water that was  only in the mid 40s  ::)

Offline mrs

• Guppy
  • Applause: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »
derrick thanks for the reply , i am definitely interested in fishing most of these tournies, whether i fish by myself or my brother, i think five fish gives a great option if someone has to fish on their own, i used to fish tournies where if you were by yourself you could only weigh in five fish while a team could weigh in ten so it would be pretty tough to beat those teams, is patty pattagansette?  if it is thats a great body of water, thanks again mike

Offline D.P G3

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +23/-2
  • I Love FISHING AND Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2005, 09:19:01 PM »
Yes Patty is Pattiganset, look forward to seeing you there.

Offline densik

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +80/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2005, 10:30:20 PM »
Rob, not singleing anybody out, but o.k. you are carefull, but the next guy isn' t. I have pulled people out of the water all over, not just on pachaug and believe me there has been more people that ended up in the water making the cross at pachaug then you will ever believe. I' m sorry, but why should derick chance it. I new this one would start a disagreement, but it is pachaug and there is plenty of water. In my opinion, I think that the Pachaug club should put it off limits for the ice breaker, know matter how many waivers you sign they don' t mean anything and a club could still can be held liable. As far as it doesn' t make sence that is in the eye of the person that thinks he has to fish over there or why should he bother showing up. He is allowing all other bridges the rest of the year. This means glasgo, quaddick, and the other pachaugs. Even beach. So I would think that after everybody has asked me and stan to get a new trail going, and Derrick has stepped up to the challenge, that we could hope to get a little consideration on one request.

Offline Rob L

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +20/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2005, 12:24:10 AM »
I too will back up Derrick, Stan and Dennis on this decision of putting the bridge off limits.  I would have no problems if all the bridges were off limits.  They are thinking about safety first and a fun trail for all.  Applaud them for giving this a try and try to be as cooperative as possible.  Its not as easy as some think.  Besides are too may tourneys you can fish for the entry fee of these.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2005, 05:37:14 AM »
Dennis, I'm with you 100% regarding the Ice Breaker tournament. The bridge should be off limits for that one... period. Not doing so is a huge statement by that club that they would rather give in to a few people than to do what's best for everybody involved. At least in my opinion.

Offline Rob W

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2005, 06:37:00 AM »
I guess it's just time for me to shut up and fish!!

Believe me, I wasn't trying to start any controversy or anything like that. And I appreciate the fact that Derrick has stepped up and taken this endeavor on. As I am sure he appreciates all the input from Dennis,Stan and all the other knowledgable fishermen around him. I wish him nothing but good luck on this trail and I'm sure with the people around him it will help make this succesful.
Once again,Good Luck!!

Offline ctbass1967

• Guppy
  • Applause: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2005, 01:15:59 PM »
I think it is also a wise decision by Derrick about Pachaug. As a member of the Pachaug Club I know we have always worried about the safety issues and small boats. That is why we always have a member with a boat in the water,and there are 3 of us that are EMT's,which we have atleast one of them there for the entire tournament. The boat that Curt is talking about was a classic example of anything can happen at anytime.
I will bring up the issue of the bridge at the next meeting and see what they have to say about it.
On another note,just to let everyone know,the first applications for the top 5 from last year were mail last week,so the rest will be mailed out next week sometime.

Offline fishjj

• Guppy
  • Applause: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2005, 03:05:17 PM »
DP, I personally like the 5 fish limit.  That might help get a few more boats in case somebody cannot find a partner or if a partner backs out, one guy can still fish and be competitive.

My 0.02, Scott Bennard