Author Topic: Line Twist  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-0
    • View Profile
Line Twist
« on: July 01, 2004, 01:13:18 PM »
I have been fishing 3 inch senkos (and ripoffs) this year on spinning gear and my line has been getting twisted like mad just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what can I do to prevent this in the future.
I fish therefore I lie.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2018 Ranger RT 198P & Evinrude G2 150 HO
Re:Line Twist
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 06:12:10 PM »
I don't have much experiance with senko's but i had this problem in the past.  

You can't eliminate twist completely but what i've done to minimize it is when you cast do not close the bail by turning the handle, close the bail by hand and pull on the line to keep the tension tight.   This has cut down twisting for me almost completely :)

You still get twisting so every once in a while i'll cut the bait of and let the line out behind the boat while motoring slow, This will take the twist out of the line, works great.

Hope this helps you a little...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 06:13:42 PM by Joe P »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 06:24:09 PM »
Joe, ditto on not closing the bail using the handle. I have even taught my kids this and it has saved a lot of frustration  :D

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 10:25:46 PM »
Gee Pat, Im having the same problem this year, worst than ever before, whether I use mono or braid with or without a snap swivel and I always close my bail by hand.  Tomorrow I'm going to try just a swivel with a one foot leader, I think some it may have to doe with the way I'm retreiving the particular bait that I have been using.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline ranger1555

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-1
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 08:39:34 AM »
Line twist can be a result of working the worm too fast or lifting it quickly. (popping it off the bottom). the worm should be worked very slowly until you want to retrieve it to recast. At this point you should reel it real fast on the surface. Another problem is if the worm is not in a perfectly straight position it will spin or if the eye of the hook isn't in the center of the worm head it will cause spinning. (Try wacky wormin)
Hope this helps

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 09:25:35 AM »
Ranger1555 hit the nail right on the head!

Retrieving this type of bait too quickly will definitely cause line twist.

As he mentioned, when you crank the bait in to make another cast, be sure to hold the rod tip high and crank quickly enough to get the bait onto the surface of the water. Once you have retrieved it, let a couple of feet of line hang and watch to see if the bait spins excessively or not.

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 05:14:39 PM »
I do fish a worm pretty fast I don't fish it all the way back to the boat.  I will try what you guys recommended but this is the first year that I have had this happen this bad so I thought it could be due to downsizing my baits from 5 and 7 inch soft plastics to 3 inch.
I fish therefore I lie.

Offline senkosam

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +3/-1
  • Northeastbass.Com rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »
3" Senkos are pretty small to T-rig.  Are you nose hooking them with small hooks?. Braid should twist the least of all lines and a 3' braid leader is what I use to prevent line twist on spinning tackle. If a feel some torque building up, I raise the rod tip as high a possible and allow the lure to revolve until the line untwists.

With 5" Senkos, the wide gap hook does a good job of keeling the worm, whether used on the drop or jerking just subsurface. Line twist is very rare when the hook eye is 1/8" from the end and the hook is more centered to the worm.  Even with a 3/0 hook (which is almost too small), line twist doesn't happen with baitcasters.

Carolina rigging will produce the most twist without a swivel, but if the leader is braid, even a fixed C-rig (no swivel), isn't a problem.

Mono by itself, is the worst twister of line even when a swivel is used. I haven't use mono by itself since braid first came out.

Sam

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 05:22:59 PM »
Tried something new for me, with braid as my main line I adde an 18" mono leader with a swivel and had much better luck with line twist.  Thanks for all your suggestions.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Pat_RI

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 09:13:34 PM »
I am T-rigging them with size 2 hooks.  When I try the larger senkos (5" or bigger) I experience a whole lot less twisting but I seem to  have better luck catching fish with the 3".
I fish therefore I lie.