Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Navionics Info & How-To / How to view sonar charts on Raymarine
« Last post by Fish Hound on July 26, 2018, 11:23:15 PM »
The Hawg Forum / Re: Big fish, Where to fish, and when to leave
« Last post by Brazzy on July 26, 2018, 11:16:56 AM »
... and sometimes it is asking yourself questions. Sometimes the "why" really is the key, especially when you are having success. If there is a spot you have a lot of confidence in well what makes that area so great? Why do fish gravitate toward that area. When it comes to conditions what do you see works best? For the past couple of years I have subscribed to the Bass University and in those seminars they do tell a lot of stories. The thing I find most fascinating with the stories is how I connect them to some of my best days fishing and some of my worst days fishing. Its funny that they can really outline details that I never really paid attention to and start connecting the dots to some of the best days or biggest fish I've caught.

As for big fish, that is a different story. Its funny because confidence in a technique or bait often comes in catching numbers. Going out there and stacking them up will really get that confidence going. I feel that is where a lot of the local tournament anglers go wrong. If you are fun fishing, man that's a blast! But it is a totally different mind set to go out there and just try to get 5 bites. There are baits out there that people lean on as confidence baits simply because they stack up numbers. I will use the wacky senko as the prime example. Can it catch big fish? Absolutely. However, you are going to be ripping through a lot of 2lb fish to get the 5+ bite you are looking for. I talked about the swimbait vs the carolina rig on the other thread. The carolina rig catches every fish in the school while the swim bait gets the best fish in the school. I have had a number of 50+ smally days on the carolina rig and never caught more than 7 or 8 in a day on the swimbait. However in terms of 4+lb smallmouth the swimbait is dominating. In a tournament situation will I start off with the bait that will stack them up? Sometimes. I usually look to get 5 in the boat as soon as possible and go from there. Once I get the 5, the volume confidence bait gets put down. As hard as it is to put down a bait thats getting bit, we can only weigh in 5 (usually). The key is having confidence in a bait/technique that wont get many bites, but you know when you do get one it will be big. For me the swimbaits for smallies is one, flipping is another, but he idea is at that point I'm no longer looking for volume.

I guess the tough part is spending time getting that confidence. I purposely take a trip to winnipesaukee each spring to catch volume. Nothing big but I just let them chew the paint off my jerkbaits. I feel like getting 30-50 a day really mentally prepares me for the year to try and get 5. When I come home I often try new techniques. If I get skunked, so be it. Im not overly itchy because I already got my fill. I have been red hot lately, but I will likely take a couple of days to work on a new technique that I feel will be one of those feast or famine baits. That being punch shotting. It wont chewed all day, but when it gets bit it should be pretty good size. However, Im prepared to go out there and struggle. Hopefully I get a couple of good ones and get me enough confidence to use it in a tournament.

Navionics Info & How-To / New Depth range shade feature update
« Last post by Fish Hound on July 25, 2018, 10:05:24 PM »
This is a video tutorial of the latest update to the Navionics mobile app now you can highlight up to 5 different depth ranges with multiple colors to choose from you can also name them
http://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2181950821834538&id=100000589250373
« Last post by Curt - RI on July 25, 2018, 08:27:13 PM »
Nothing beats time on the water and asking lots of questions  :nope:
« Last post by metz12 on July 25, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys. I really do appreciate the knowledge. I am at the point where I'm trying to get the intricacies of the sport down. I am having fun catching fish, and being confident I can get bit (even though I dont sometimes) but the bigger fish seem to elude me. I have one 3Lber and one 4Lber this year and a ton of 2s. When I come back to the ramp, I have a limit, but no size. Just learning as I am going and trying to suck up as much information as I can and how much people will give out  ;D ! My confidence though has grown a ton though after the beginning of the season, so that is great.
The Hawg Forum / Re: Dragging Swimbaits for GIANT Smallmouth
« Last post by Eric-Maine on July 24, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »
Good stuff. Used the 3.8 s a lot on Erie in the spring on a football head. Love the 3.3 and 2.8,  new sizes for me that I slow roll or drop on fish I see on the graph using a 3 /32 ned head
(midwest finess....I make my own).
« Last post by Curt - RI on July 24, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
Great video!! Love the info you shared  :thumbup:
« Last post by Brazzy on July 24, 2018, 10:16:03 AM »
Thank you.

Yes it is a collapsing silicon net. Its similar to this one on amazon:

http://amzn.to/2uMuPyw
« Last post by Joe P on July 24, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
Good video  :thumbup:

What is that net you have on the deck, looks like a folding one?
« Last post by Brazzy on July 24, 2018, 08:09:44 AM »
This is definitely something that took a while for me to come around to as well. At first I tried the wide gap swim bait hooks with the screw lock keeper and weight on the keel of the hooks. I got some bites on it fishing for largemouth but my hook up ratio was far too low to be able to do it with confidence. I the resorted to using the as trailers on chatterbaits and spinnerbaits ( you know my stance on that now). I was fishing with a local pro and he turned me onto ita couple of years ago. I then saw Seth Feider and Pete Gluszek do seminars on this on Bass University. That gave me the confidence to at least try it for smallmouth on a jig head. It did not take long to get confidence in it. Then Mark Zona did a seminar on the line through style in a seminar about unorthodox ways to fish docks. I very quickly realized that how I started using this bait to begin with was all wrong. That weedless application was pretty frustrating and it would be pretty low on the totem pole of baits I would throw around grass. However, these other methods are absolutely killer.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10