Author Topic: Best Baitcasting Reel Under $100?  (Read 95 times)

Online Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Best Baitcasting Reel Under $100?
« on: July 11, 2018, 03:00:11 PM »
For the last year or so, I have been scouring the marketplace to find solid rods and reels that won't break the bank.

My latest review is for the Best Baitcasting Reel Under $100. This one is a true beast for the price!

http://www.tackletest.com/best-baitcasting-reel-under-100

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Re: Best Baitcasting Reel Under $100?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 08:11:35 AM »
Welcome to the world of Revos. Im happy they came out with a cost effective reel that wasnt the pro max, black max, etc. The Revo world is so much better than the reels from the max series. Fair assessment of the Magtrax braking system. Its a good system, but definitely leaves you tinkering around quite a bit. One of the key features of the more expensive revos is the IVCB-6L braking system which really is awesome. I mean there isn't much dialing in at all, but the cheapest model that has that system is the STX at retail of $199 (you can find them around $150).
Bear Hill Baits

Online Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:12:44 AM »
Thanks @Brazzy

I actually bought a Revo many years ago and returned it to Dick's in trade for a Curado. I don't remember exactly which Revo it was. Maybe the S or STX? Anyway, I absolutely could not get that reel to stop backlashing, no matter how I adjusted it. So returning to the Revo again was with a bit of hesitation. This Revo, however, didn't disappoint. And for under $100, you really can't go wrong.

I fished with it some more last night and landed a tank of a bass. The reel handled it perfectly, as did the Lew's Carbon Fire Rod that I matched it up with.

I reviewed the Carbon Fire Rods recently at this link: http://www.tackletest.com/lews-carbon-fire-baitcasting-rod-review

Really, really pleased with them both for the price  :yes:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 11:20:12 AM »
The older revos definitely had their issues with backlashes. Most really needed some TLC to get them dialed in. However, the SX was one where I felt was a backlash nightmare waiting to happen (might be the one you are talking about). It was frequent and it was nasty. They have made improvements to the braking systems and now they are pretty good across the board but the higher end models braking system is awesome. 

I was afraid the revo X would be a cash grab.. Glad to hear its good quality.
Bear Hill Baits

Online Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 11:47:50 AM »
However, the SX was one where I felt was a backlash nightmare waiting to happen

Yes, that was the one. What a piece of junk it was. The reel itself was nice, but the braking system was horrible.

I wrote a three part blog series here: http://blog.northeastbass.com/?s=revo+sx

These 3 posts are old, and are missing some photos, but the info is still good.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
Good Stuff. and that makes sense. The Revo S has centrifugal brakes, the SX has magnetic, and the STX is the first model with both.  in the older models. Now the STX and above has the IVCB-6L braking system. I do have an SX, but  put that in my 8' flipping stick as I would not do more than punch with that thing. I wouldn't dare make a cast with the SX. I have owned everything from the S to the Premier. Bang for the buck the STX is probably the best choice. In your assessment the STX would have been in the same price range as the Curado, but the STX would have dominated in specs and performance. The SX and that nonsense infini magnetic brake system is a nightmare.

On a side note, I have the new Revo Ike series reel coming in today or tomorrow. It is supposed to be released on 8/1, but I pulled some strings and should have it in my hands by this weekend. Really looking forward to this one. It essentially took the power from the STX and the weight of a premier and added a new handle and a pimped out paint job. I will likely do a video on it in the coming week.
Bear Hill Baits

Online Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 02:03:38 PM »
Cool. Looking forward to hearing about the new reel!