Author Topic: Hydrowave  (Read 332 times)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
Hydrowave
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
I want to wait until I have used ti a full year before I do a full blown review of it, but I wanted to share my experience so far with this thing. Its not this magical tool that calls fish from all over the lake to come to you and bite your lure. Most of the time I dont think it makes a difference at all. The sounds it makes sounds like KVD munching on a bag of potato chips while he is counting the money he made off this thing. However, I will share a couple of observations. First time out this year I pulled up to a lay down that historically I have had a ton of success on. With the hydrowave off I start picking it apart with a jig. I then take a suspending jerkbait and run it over the top of the submerged portion of the lay down 3 or 4 times. Nothing.. I realize "hey I got my new toy, I should turn it on". I turn on the power pattern and I flip my jig into the laydown.. I get a tick tick (not the usual thump) and it being the first trip of the year I load up and WHHHHAAAMMM send my jig back at me 90MPH. I flip back in. Suddenly something breaks the surface. I put the jig down and throw the jerkbait over the top again. Jerkbait gets hammered by a decent size crappie. I then catch 5 more crappie on the next 5 casts doing exactly what I was doing a moment ago.

The next day I bring a friend and go back to the same laydown to show him. The exact same thing happens again. I know its crappie, but the point of the hydrowave really is targeted at schooling fish and to make the sound of a school getting fired up to trigger the competitive nature of schooling fish. So enough about crappie...

On to Winnipesaukee. I did a very similar experiment with smallmouth in a large laydown. The difference was when I pulled up I pulled 3 fish off the laydown. After a couple of casts with nothing, I flipped on the hydrowave and got 3 more fish.  So overall I think this would be an effective tool with more aggressive schooling fish. Northern largemouth are some of the laziest fish out there so I dont think it would spark their interest the way it would smallmouth. I keep thinking over the years of times where I was able to track down smallmouth, but struggled to put them in the boat consistently. Last year I was on a school of smallies and we threw everything including the kitchen sink at them and were barely able to scrap a full bag. I wonder if this would have made a difference.

Anyone else have any experience with this thing? Seems funny that every pro is running it now.
Bear Hill Baits

Online toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Hydrowave
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:58:58 PM »
This is in no way a slight on you or anyone who uses a Hydro-wave but what ever happened to just going out and catching fish. I have a Crawdad and a small canoe and have no electronics, temp gauge or anything but a trolling motor. Why is it we feel the need to have every electronic advantage on the market? Sure if I was fishing the Elites and Hydro-wave threw a ton of money at me I'd have it tattooed on my butt, but at what point are we still the skilled fisherman if we can find the fish with sonar, turn on our Hydro-wave to excite the school and drop down to catch them while watching on our graph. I'll say it again this is not meant to be an insult, I know you can fish, it's just my rant and I don't have the money for all that high end stuff.  :hmm:   
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline ProvidenceBassHunter

• Smallmouth Bass
  • If you dont bass fish then why are you talking to
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Huge 4 pounder it was more like a 10
  • My Boat: Kayak
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 08:21:16 PM »
I?m old school I juts use dynamite lol

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
The sounds it makes sounds like KVD munching on a bag of potato chips while he is counting the money he made off this thing.
@Brazzy  (giggle) (giggle)

Personally, I view this item as mostly gimmicky (as are so many other gadgets that anglers buy). But, that's not based on any use on a personal level. It's just based on watching the markets over the last 30+ years. Remember the Color C-Lector?  ;D

With that said, your observations are interesting. I'll be curious to hear what you have to say after using it for a year.

@toadhunter I understand where you're coming from. I do, however, appreciate some of the electronics, such as a graph for viewing bottom depth and structure/cover. I also appreciate GPS for navigation after dark or when it's foggy, and for being able to return to a piece of cover or structure over and over again without having to rely on triangulation to find it.

I don't drop shot, so I don't need extra-fine detail in my electronics, and I don't need a 12 inch screen, although I think it must be really nice to have units that sophisticated  :nod:

All in all, if an angler stinks at finding fish based on an understanding of seasonal movements, weather patterns, etc., there are no electronics in the world that will help them catch more fish.  :nope:

Online toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »
Good points @Curt - RI , I hear you on the bottom contour and the GPS at night, electronics have there place but I think its gotten out of hand. Perhaps if I fished the great lakes I'd be arguing for the other side of the coin. 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
I think its gotten out of hand

It's kinda that way with a lot of fishing-related stuff. Look at Bass Boats and Outboards. Weekend anglers are dropping $60-$70k on bass boats to fish on lakes that don't even allow them to reach the boat's top speed before having to back it down and cut the engine. Way too many victims of marketing hype and ego trips.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 12:52:04 PM »
What a great conversation. So in terms of the hydrowave, I will admit that I thought of it as being gimmicky and to a point it is. However, this is something that in saltwater has been used for a long time. Like I said.. 95% of the time I feel like it makes no difference. We talked about it before on here. If they arent chewing then its hard to force feed them. However, I've invested a lot of money in fishing. I have essentially dropped a few other hobbies and focused on just this one. Given what I have spent on fishing, this is not really all that an expensive investment. In terms of electronics, this one is relatively cheap.

As for electronics as a whole, to be where I want to be as a angler it is a necessity. I grew up fishing golf course ponds where I could go out there with nothing but a spinner bait and a jig with a wally world special spinning combo and mono and just blister them. I moved on to canoes and kayaks and getting to places where other people wouldn't go and getting fish that way. I thought I knew it all. I watched the guys on TV and thought well I'm catching 5 and 6 pounders.. I can compete with them. WRONG! I started fishing tournaments and it started changing the way I fished. I learned that this is a science and not an art and the game of learning a lake, figuring out a pattern, making the right decisions and getting rewarded is not easy to do. Doing this in a golf course pond is easy. There is no challenge to it. Anyone who goes there will catch fish. Going to a large highly pressured lake with other anglers with high end boats and equipment is a different story. I want tools that will help me be the best I can be in those scenarios. Now I want to try some of the more well known fisheries in the region and keep expanding out. When I fish my local pond I dont even connect my electronics, but Im not going to tow a boat for hours and hours and not come loaded for bear. You get out on one of these giant lakes and you dont even know where to begin.

Two things.. 1 is, none of this stuff will make a bad angler into a good angler, more efficient but none of these things are a magic wand. and 2: we all buy the best stuff we can afford with the idea in mind that it will land us bigger and more fish. The idea that electronics are pointless because you cant afford it really doesnt work. Simply owning a crawdad means that you've made an investment to be a better angler and to get to fish you cant get to from shore. I look at that and feel like that means you take it seriously. For me I dropped serious cash on a boat + talons + graphs and looked at the hydrowave like "eh why not?".

I started this thread because of the popularity of this tool and generally speaking its pretty cheap it being $100 for the small model and $400 for the full one. I thought it was gimmicky but wanted to see if it was a legit or not. I do a lot of flipping so I thought worst case I would want something to mask the unnatural sound of my trolling motor. Say what you want about noises attracting fish, but there is no doubt that unnatural sounds will spook fish. So I will share my experience with this thing as I go and you can make the call as to whether or not you want to make the investment. On a side note with this on I landed a 5lb 13oz bass while fun fishing this weekend. Got it flipping again. So that is back to back trips with giants while flipping. I dont know how much I can attribute it to the hydrowave. Again though, if it is masking the sound of my trolling motor, it cant hurt.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 11:18:15 AM »
This thread is great! These kinds of discussions are what makes forums so special for sharing and learning.  :yes:

The idea that electronics are pointless because you cant afford it really doesn't work.

Agree 100%

The same goes for all fishing equipment. Doesn't matter whether it's Talons, Power Poles, high end rods and reels or electronics. Everyone has a budget they have to work within. Saying that something more expensive than you can afford is a waste of money doesn't make that a true statement.

And, as always, everyone is entitled to their opinion  :nod:

Online toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 11:48:22 AM »
My point was the craft and skill of the fisherman has been put on the back seat, it's just like cell phones, people can do crap without them like reading a map for instance. As I said it was just my rant, but it sure is fun taking 1st place money from a guy in a fully rigged boat as I drive away with my crawdad in my truck.  (giggle)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »
it sure is fun taking 1st place money from a guy in a fully rigged boat as I drive away with my crawdad in my truck

Been there, done that. Know the feeling. But it's also fun having a boat that will hold two anglers and all of our tackle very comfortably. To each his own, and within the budget  ;)

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
And thats the funny part about it. I thought getting electronics would change me from good to great. Not the case. Actually the first year I had it I got a lot worse. Let me say this. It being referred to as a "fish finder" is a load of crap. It does not find fish. I spent hours on end staring at that thing thinking I was going to be like Brent Ehrler on MLF just video game fishing. Wow was I wrong.

In all honesty its a tool like any other and in the right hands it can help. In the wrong hands it cant. Its not going to make a bad angler into a good angler. I feel like it takes a great deal of skill to use these effectively. Just to explain, you are not looking for fish. I mean if you find them, great, but it is super hard to drop on them while they are under your boat and you see them on the graph. What you are looking for is depth, contour changes, hardness of bottom, rocks, grass, etc. What does that mean? Well nothing if you dont establish a pattern. You need to get bites, for these tools to help you get more bites.

Example: Yesterday out on a lake where they are doing some serious weed eradication. I start off a point (visual target) and start working off that point. As I am working dont the point I get to a place where it is about 10 feet of water and notice I am hitting clumps of grass on the bottom (purely from feel). As soon as I start hitting grass I start getting bites. I keep generating the bites in 10-12 FOW pulsing a chatterbait through the grass. Whenever I would hit grass I would violently pop it out of the grass and a lot of strikes came right then. I stack up about 5 fish and now start piecing it together for a pattern. I fish that spot until the bites die. Now I use my navionics map (I use my phone) to try and find places that might look similar to it no the body of water I am on. I start going to those places and idling over it. I dont see a single fish, but when I saw grass in about 10-12 feet of water adjacent to a primary or secondary point I would make some casts. I get on them there as well. I move further off the bank and find a hump where it goes from about 16 FoW to 11FoW and it has grass on it as well.. From there I just blister them.

The reason I mention this is it wasnt this magic wand that found fish. It took getting a line in the water, looking for visual queues, feeling the bottom, and getting bites to establish the pattern. From there you then use the tools you have to replicate it. In no way do this tools make up for and deficiency in skills. I think the name of the game here is efficiency. I could have found grass by dragging a jig or a Carolina rig, but this was far more efficient.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
Its not going to make a bad angler into a good angler.

Agreed. Not happening.. ever  :nope:

I spent hours on end staring at that thing

I remember doing that with my first one, back in the 1980s!  (giggle)

What you are looking for is depth, contour changes, hardness of bottom, rocks, grass, etc.

Exactly  :yes:

it wasn't this magic wand that found fish. It took getting a line in the water, looking for visual queues, feeling the bottom, and getting bites to establish the pattern. From there you then use the tools you have to replicate it.

And there you have it. The sum of finding and catching bass consistently  :nod:

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
I use my electronics to find structure more than i do fish.  It also comes in handy when looking for cooler or warmer water!
On large body of water it's a safety device if you get caught in a heavy fog you can find your way back.

I wouldn't be with out one on my boat  :)  On my kayak it's not needed as i'm on small bodies of water!