Author Topic: Independent Bass Anglers and Dead Bass  (Read 179 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Independent Bass Anglers and Dead Bass
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
Back in 2016 I was conducting a guide trip on Indian Lake. While I was preparing to launch my boat, a bass club was there preparing for the start of a tourney.

I spoke with one of the guys and learned that the club was called Independent Bass Anglers.

During my trip, I witnessed people in that tourney using stringers to hold their bass. I also witnessed an angler putting bass into a cooler or some other type of storage box with no aeration system. I knew this by the fact that I saw him repeatedly empty water out and put new water in.

Long story short, when I completed my trip, I found many, many dead bass at the launch area. Some of them were big bass, too, with one or two between 4 and 5 lbs. and others over 3 lbs. I was disgusted with what I saw.

I reported them to DEM for their lack of proper care for the bass they caught and weighed in. DEM reprimanded them for this, but apparently continued to give them permits.

Well, I was contacted by another forum member this morning who told me that he fished at Indian Lake yesterday and saw Independent Bass Anglers there again, completing the weigh-in for a tourney. And once again there were dead bass floating at the ramp. One of the club members told a fellow member to pick up the dead bass because they had gotten in trouble in the past for leaving dead fish at the ramp.

So, apparently they have made a habit of making sure they clean up their carnage before they leave in order to cover their tracks and keep from getting scolded by DEM again.

Well, if I can do so, I will work my butt off to make sure they never get another permit to run a tourney in RI. I'm tired of seeing and hearing about their careless handling of bass during tournaments and the large numbers of dead fish they leave behind when they're finished.

They allow the use of stringers and they allow the use of containers with no pumps, to hold bass for the duration of the tourney. They seem to have a track record of killing high numbers of bass during the summer months, and they have been doing this for at least the last 3 years that I am aware of.

It's time for this stupidity to stop once and for all.

I will be contacting DEM on Monday to let them know about this and I will be requesting that they revoke any existing permits for this club (and the people who run it) and they they never issue them another permit in RI.

I would like to ask that everyone else do this also. Please call DEM at 401-789-0281. Ask to speak to Alan Libby. He's the person in charge of issuing permits for tourneys.

I realize that a person is allowed to keep up to 5 bass per day, so technically an entire club could kill up to 5 bass per participant. But this is not acceptable behavior, and clubs who operate this way need to be held accountable.

A bass in RI takes roughly 5 years to reach adulthood. And these guys are waltzing into area lakes and killing many of them off in a matter of hours, at every lake they go to. There is no respect shown for the fisheries and for other anglers who go to great lengths to keep bass alive during tournaments, by spending money on livewell pumps and other accessories to take proper care of the bass.

Please help end this by calling DEM and requesting that they put a stop to it now.

401-789-0281

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: Independent Bass Anglers and Dead Bass
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Morons >:(

What kind of boats are they using?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
Morons >:(

What kind of boats are they using?

Anything from bass boats to canoes and jon boats.

Online metz12

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5lbs SMB 2lbs 5oz. Both Watchaug pond Charlestown RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »
Bass boats, trackers, jonboats, crawdads, kayaks and canoes. I have buddies that run a club that they do from the bank, and from boats. But they use a measuring board, take a picture and send it to the guys running the tourney.

I cant believe these guys do not care about killing fish. They seem to like to fish and they dont even care that they are killing the population and award someone for keeping a bass alive. Yes, every fish released alive is an extra 2 ounces awarded.

roughly 15 trucks and trailers at the ramp. 2 people per vessel. 5 fish limit, that is alot of bass. Indian has the amount of fish in it too for all of those guys to come in with limits. At a great fishery like Indian!!!!! I am scared to even think about how many bass that was kept from there last night due to improper care.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
I am scared to even think about how many bass that was kept from there last night due to improper care.

Makes me sick just to think about it.  :puking: :crying:

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:24:43 AM »
If you have a smaller boat, you can make a small hole in a cooler to run a aeration line which I have done and I always used ice to regulate water temp in summer months. I would even go so far as to use oxygen tablets and have never weighed in a dead fish. It's obvious these people don't care about the resource. Hard to believe they can't see the trees through the forest.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:50:38 AM »
This is insanity. There are now online tournament clubs and car topper tournaments. They use videos. Show the whole fish, show inside its mouth, say a code word given for that time frame. Show the scale at 0. Show the whole fish while on the scale and show the weight locked on the scale. Super easy and the fish is back in the water in usually no more than 45 seconds. So many groups are using this now its crazy to think these dopes are using stringers. Despite all of us in our group having bass boats we even used those rules for the tournament we had during the spawn this year because we didn't want to be pulling fish off beds and driving them around in our live wells all day. Its crazy how the entire fishing world is evolving to be more conscious in their conservation efforts while these guys are killing fish for no reason.

Here's the kicker. They clearly aren't dropping money on high end gear, which immediately makes me think there's no way this tournament is for big money. On top of that the rules give a 2oz bonus for each fish released alive. That means a guy with a  working live well has a 10z advantage to start and people are still using stringers. So it cant possibly be for anything significant in terms of a payout. So the kicker is.... they are killing all those fish for absolutely no reason.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: Today at 10:20:07 AM »
@toadhunter You're dead on. Anyone can keep bass alive and healthy if they want to. These guys obviously don't want to and don't care.

@Brazzy My guess is that they are fishing for probably a $50-$75 first place. Some of them might be genuinely nice guys, but their catch and release ethics are sorely lacking.

If everyone would please call 401-789-0281 and complain about this, asking them to please revoke this club's permit privileges permanently, it will go a long way toward putting a stop to their sorry methods.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:02:35 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: Today at 02:31:58 PM »
And here you have it. This message was sent to the Northeastbass.com Facebook page this afternoon.
So you read this and tell me how concerned IBA is about local bass populations.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:38:02 PM by Curt - RI »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: Today at 03:01:17 PM »
It's apparent that some people who belong to IBA are reading these posts.

So, for anyone from IBA who might be reading this, here are some suggestions for you.

First, this is not an assault on your right to legally catch bass and hold them for a tournament weigh-in. It is an expression of frustration with the way you handle bass during a tournament. I have personally witnessed it. So this is not hearsay or third party info.

If you want people to change their minds about your club, then take some steps to show people that you care about the resource.

1 - Stop allowing anglers to participate in tourneys and use stringers to hold bass for the weigh-in.

2 - Stop allowing anglers to participate in tourneys and use non-aerated containers to hold bass for the weigh-in.

3 - Stop giving points for keeping bass alive and start penalizing people who weigh in dead bass.

4 - Require each and every boat in your club to have some type of aerated livewell/cooler that holds an amount of water large enough to hold 5 bass comfortably, with a pump of some sort to keep the water oxygenated. No livewell? No entry in your tourneys.

None of this is complicated. And none of it is unreasonable.

If this doesn't work for you and you want to allow anglers to join and fish your tourneys without livewells, then switch to a different format, like photo weigh-ins, as mentioned above by @Brazzy

But stop allowing the use of stringers, non-aerated containers, etc. The fish held this way might swim away from your weigh-ins, but there are undoubtedly some of them dying later on due to high stress from poor handling.

There are many different ways of managing bass to keep them unharmed for tournaments.

Please do yourselves and do the bass a favor and put one of these into practice.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:04:03 PM by Curt - RI »

Online metz12

• Shiner
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5lbs SMB 2lbs 5oz. Both Watchaug pond Charlestown RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
« Reply #10 on: Today at 05:15:26 PM »
We are the morons eh? Well Rich Castro, Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.