Author Topic: Cold front tips  (Read 455 times)

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
Cold front tips
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:42:33 AM »
I have said many times before, after a cold you should try river fishing because river fish are less affected by fronts than pond fish. Also fish seem pickier about actually eating so try a reaction bait like a buzz bait, these fish were fooled by it. @ProvidenceBassHunter
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Cold front tips
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
@toadhunter I agree 100%. River fish are way less affected by cold fronts. And buzzbaits are definitely a great way to catch those river bass  :nod:

Nice fish!

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 01:49:58 PM »
Fished the Ct. River yesterday. I was blaming the cold front, take that away from me and all I've got is that I s#$%!

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 02:00:58 PM »
I agree 100%. The only issue is that sometimes you don't have a choice as to where you fish and still have to grind it out. You say cold front and I hear finicky fish holding really tight to cover. So in essence you need to lean on a reaction strike instead of a hunger strike.  In a tournament setting I would always prefer to try to get reaction bites by cranking. Deflecting a crankbait off cover is a great way to trigger a reaction bite. I say in a tournament setting because by cranking I can cover water and stack 5 up more efficiently than most other methods. However, I recently ran across a similar scenario like this and the crankbait was not getting it done. If I have to, I will go to pitching/flipping (I rarely ever flip, I almost always pitch but refer to it globally as "flipping"). This is a method that has won me tournaments, grabbed some good bags, and has salvaged days where I couldn't buy a bite. My feeling around it is drop it in front of their face and make them react. In these cases, dont let it soak. Drop in, one hop (maybe a second), and out. Throw it in there again if you think the spot is  high percentage. If you still feel its high percentage then throw it a 3rd time and let it soak, but in a tournament environment you are now likely wasting time.

Baits.. I like to "flip" (pitch) 3 baits. The first is a flipping tube that I make. Ribbed tube rigged with 1/2oz weight.
The second is a BHB B17 (similar to a D-Bomb). Also with a 1/2oz.. Sometimes I will throw it on a 1 ounce weight and do what Ish Monroe calls "dropping bombs". The idea that its falling faster may trigger that reaction.
The last is a bit of a bulkier approach with a flappy craw (similar to a rage craw) with a punch skirt and a 3/4oz+ weight.

One other bait that I have a love for that I dont make is the Biospawn Vilecraw. It is an awesome larger profile bait that is great to flip.

This combination has be rooting for cold fronts, blue bird skies, and any other poor fishing condition I can hope for on tournament day. If the fish are biting its a crap shoot, but if they are not I like my chances grinding out 5 bites in a day where no one is getting bit.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
Good stuff @Brazzy , I was "fun fishing" and had the game plan going in to fish a small pond then switch to a nearby river if the bite was slow. It worked out, but you're right, if you're in a tourney you have to grind it out.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »
@Brazzy Great post!!

Grinding it out is how it turns out so often, and your plan is a good one for a tourney  :thumbup:

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
All great stuff guys, but sometimes you can't plan for any of this. You just have to go out and listen to what the fish are telling you and adjust from there. Trust your gut and past experience.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 04:02:48 PM »
Absolutely. Always listen to what they tell you. Every tournament (or any fun fishing really) I go into it assuming they will be chewing and think about covering water and moving quickly. Its just funny that so many tournaments become a grind, and the anglers who adapt and can salvage the day and get 5 often win. My comments above are when they are not chewing and it seems like no one can get a bite.. then what? I shared because in all honesty the majority of my tournament wins were on those days where it seemed like no one was getting bit, but we figured out a way.... When everyone is getting bit I feel like I find myself middle of the pack and most of the time that is where the anglers who you often dont see win tournaments get a win. I feel like those days are anyone's game.

Tournament fishing and fun fishing for me are one in the same. The only difference is when fun fishing I will often dedicate a day to a specific technique I feel like I need to be better in and just ride that all day no matter what. Outside of that I will adapt and flipping is one of my top confidence ways to get bites when no one can.

I'll share one story. We were at a well known smallmouth fishery last summer and it was blue bird skies 95 degrees. This is a lake and a crew that I feel like you need to be in the 18lb+ mark to be in the hunt (based on previous events).  All morning we were trying to get smallmouth, trying to get our 5 and then work on culling. By 11:30 we only had 1 smally in the boat at 3lb 10oz... We got smallies on the graph all morning.. We are carolina rigging, drop shotting, dragging swimbaits, spoons, damiki rig, shaky head,  jigs, the kitchen sink at them. We finally say "**** this lets go flip docks". Right off the bat.. a couple 3's a couple shorts, and we get #5 with 20 minutes to spare for a disappointing 11+lbs. No where near what we needed to win. We show up at the ramp to a bunch of guys left scratching their heads.. all of us talking about the tough bite (including me). Come to find out we won by 6lbs.

I feel like anyone can catch fish when they want to bite.. its the guys who can get the in the boat even when they dont want to bite that win. Cranking and flipping are 2 ways to do that. Oddly enough those 2 methods are 1 and 2 in money won in the elite series, yet very few people locally do it at all.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:35:31 PM »
@Brazzy , I know what your saying, although I don't tourney fish anymore I did for several years and won multiple AOY's with the club I fished with. I just stopped because it wasn't fun for me anymore. I still fish 100+ days a year.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »
All great stuff guys, but sometimes you can't plan for any of this. You just have to go out and listen to what the fish are telling you and adjust from there. Trust your gut and past experience.

Of course!

Experience trumps all else as long as we let the fish tell us what they want. There is no such thing as force-feeding a bass.  :nope:

Offline ProvidenceBassHunter

• Smallmouth Bass
  • If you dont bass fish then why are you talking to
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Huge 4 pounder it was more like a 10
  • My Boat: Kayak
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »
Solid fish ! Works been killing me with these weekend over nights hopefully we can get on the water next weekend. Seems like ur doing better with out me tho  ;D