Author Topic: What's The Best Baitcasting Combo for Beginners?  (Read 366 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
What's The Best Baitcasting Combo for Beginners?
« on: April 27, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »
I can't even count the number of times I've been asked this question. Way too many to keep track of.

So, I figured if I'm getting asked this much, there must be lots of other people wondering about it too.

Check out my latest tackle review for my own personal answer: http://www.tackletest.com/best-baitcasting-combo-for-beginners

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Best Baitcasting Combo for Beginners?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
I have never been one to utilize the braking and anti backlash features of the modern baitcaster. Free spool and an educated thumb so might not be the best judge...
In Florida I fish left handed flipping and pitching so not wanting to buy shimano for a few weeks of fishing down south I bought Lews American Hero edition. Love it. Have 4 now.  Make a long cast; strip a few yards off and cover spool in tape so backlashes will be limited and educate your thumb. You don't need to spend $200 plus on a bsitcaster.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 06:35:40 PM »
You don't need to spend $200 plus on a baitcaster.

@Eric-Maine I agree wholeheartedly! I used to buy $180 baitcasting reels. Not anymore. I refuse to spend more than $80 for a reel, and with some of the deals I have found on combos, I'm getting really good reels for way less than that $80 limit  :yes:

As for the modern braking systems, I have been using baitcasting reels since the late 1980s, when the newfangled braking systems back then consisted of a magnetic brake. My thumb is well educated from all of those years of training  (giggle)

I will admit that some of the newer braking systems are nice, but they truly aren't necessary.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 10:51:02 AM »
Same here, can't see spending big bucks anymore.

I've been mostly using the BPS Pro Qualifiers reels i got for 50 bucks at the Spring Classic sale! i like these so much that i'm thinking of putting my curados up for sale :o

I do have a lews speed spool i got fairly cheap and really like that reel too 8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
i like these so much that i'm thinking of putting my curados up for sale :o

I sold all of my Curados two years ago and bought Abu Garcia reels to replace them. No more big money reels for me  :nope: