Author Topic: trolling motor batteries  (Read 175 times)

Offline tritonmike

• Shiner
  • Applause: +3/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
trolling motor batteries
« on: April 16, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »
I need some advise on my trolling motor issues' I had a 80lb fortrex on my boat but it seemed like the batteries wouldn't last for a full tournament,so I bought a 112lb fortrex and added a third battery and I still cant make it through a full day. now,i'm an electrician so I constantly put a meter on my batteries and load test them they seem to be fine and they all charge up good. I hava napa marine group 27 batteries 2 of them are 2 seasons old and 1 is new last june. I do like to troll pretty fast but the 112 fortrex running at 60 per cent doesn't last. I'm thinking of trying three agm batteries. does anyone have any advise about them ? I know they cost more and if anyone knows where I can get a deal on 3 of them please let me know. thanks

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Re: trolling motor batteries
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »
You "should" be able to run an entire tournament without issue! It sounds like your batteries are more the issue than the TM. 1 bad battery in a series can cause a massive reduction in usage. When you take them off the charger they will appear full but not for long!

I would be pulling the batteries and having Napa test them. You might have a dead cell in one causing all your pain.

Are they deep cycle?
I have a 36v Minnkota setup and have been running my deep cycle Optima batteries for 6+ years.

-Mitz

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:08:18 PM by Mitz »

Offline tritonmike

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 03:14:37 PM »
yes they are the napa deep cycle models. i'm not sure if I want to go up to the group 31 batteries or try the agm's

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
Are you sure your getting 36 volts at the troller?

Offline tritonmike

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
yeah I checked it with my meter and load tested the batteries too.  I even had the motor checked out at a repair center..

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:03:02 PM »
If you're running typical lead acid deep cycle batteries and you tend to run your TM at high speeds a lot, you won't get the hours out of them that you would from AGM batteries.

With that said, though, "healthy" lead acid batteries should get you through a day with no issues.

Load tests might not detect a bad cell. Have Napa text them more extensively.

As for whether to switch to AGM, I switched 20 years ago and I will never go back to lead acid again. There's a world of difference in performance and longevity. Most AGM batteries will last you 8-10 years. ANd they're 100% maintenance-free.

I bought mine from a place in Hope Valley, RI. They're called Power Troll batteries. They no longer market them but you might still be able to get them if you call Power Resources, in Hope Valley, RI. (401) 539-8646

They will probably cost you $200 each. But I promise you they're worth every penny.

If your TM has been checked and verified as problem-free, then the batteries are the only logical piece of the puzzle that has a problem.

The only other thing I can think of would be to check your charger and make sure it's actually charging the batteries to 100%. If your charger is faulty, it could be detecting the batteries as fully charged while they're actually less than that. So make sure your charger is working properly before dropping big money on new AGM batteries!

Oh, one other thing. Is the TM the only thing hooked to those deep cycle batteries? If not, it's possible that you may have something else drawing your batteries down.

Offline tritonmike

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 07:51:05 PM »
I checked my batteries with my meter while charging and they def. are getting a full charge. and I don't have anything else on them so that's not my issue. I just tend to be a fast fisher lol I like to keep it on 60 to 70 percent. I think I want to try the agm's' just trying to get a good price so far I found some for 250 each. but i'll give that guy ba call . maybe ill get a good deal, thanks. oh and I still have that 80 lb fortrex for sale if anyones looking for one..

Offline bassking

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:02 AM »
mike i have group 29 i get all day out of them an then sum when batterys get weak you might only get 6hrs a test might not show that  go with 29 or 31if you have room i get 2 years on wet cells i change them even if they test good  if you switch to agm 29 or31 you can run them down with out hurting them a wet cell should only be drained 50to60 percent in a day we run them down 70/80  they cant take the abuse agm can

Offline tritonmike

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 05:29:45 PM »
ok so I brought all three batteries down to napa to get them tested,they told me the two older ones were shot so I ended up buying three group 31 batteries for $375 . so I cant wait to get out there this weekend and try them out. thanks all for your input and I hope to see you all on the water ......... if it ever warms up lol !

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2018, 09:50:18 AM »
@tritonmike Glad you got it all sorted out! I had a feeling Napa might be able to test them more extensively and spot any problems that way. Let us know how it goes for you the next time you get out there!  :thumbup: