Author Topic: Fish Finders  (Read 744 times)

Offline metz12

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5lbs SMB 2lbs 5oz. Both Watchaug pond Charlestown RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Fish Finders
« on: January 20, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
Hey guys. Have to pick your brain a bit. I am buying a Bass Tracker in the near future, and I think I need a fish finder. The reason why I say I think I need a finder is that everyone has one, so I should! No that is only part of the reason. Fishing with @ink_n_metal a ton last year and using his finder in the back of the boat I have come to rely on it. Fishing offshore without a finder I can imagine is a crapshoot.

I dont know if I really NEED one though. I honestly dont care to fish offshore. I like to flip, fish points, and rip rap, where you may not need the finder.

The finder I have been looking at is this one http://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/activity/inland-fishing/hook2-4x-gps-bullet-skimmer/ because it is more reasoonably priced then alot of the others. Still, 120 bucks is a bit hard to swallow, so I am just trying to figure out what you guys think I should do. What would you guys reccomend?

Thanks!!

Offline ink_n_metal

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Largest LMB, Quinsigimond, Mass 5lb 12oz, 2016
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker TX17, 45hp Mercury, Motorguide 65lb
Re: Fish Finders
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »
I know you've had to listen to me for countless hours, when I have you trapped in the boat with me, but I'm going to chime in here anyhow.  I'm just going to list a few factors that you should consider.

1. Though you prefer fishing the shore line, where you really don't need electronics, the fish don't always prefer it.  When you are in a tournament, striking out on the shoreline and see the other boats reeling them in out deep, you will need electronics to fish the offshore efficiently.

2. Try to get a fish finder with a chart and bathymetry.  This will help you no matter where you are.  Obviously offshore, but also on the bank.  If you are finding fish along the bank and wear a spot out, you will want to find similar areas.  Are you doing good because you are near a flat, near a drop off, near underwater points and channels? you will be able to look at your chart and find similar shorelines to what you are hooking up on.  For this, the navionics app on your iphone, for $9.99 will suffice.

3. Structure, structure, structure!!!  being able to see under water structure.  Even when trolling the shoreline, we all take casts off the front, back and offshore side of the boat.  Sometimes, those casts work and you catch.  Why did that cast work?? is the a small dip or hump, is there a stump field, is there a log, or maybe an underwater road bed?  You will never know why that cast worked, you will never know what depth the cast hooked up at and then you will not be able to duplicate it and get on a pattern. 

As fun as flipping, pitching and rip rap are, electronics will flat out make you more competitive.   I think that the lowrance you are looking at would work just fine for you, and then couple it with the navionics app on your phone, for your charting.  Tournament fishing is tough enough on its own.  I personally feel that fishing without electronics will cut your efficiency down and cause you to waste a lot of time on the water, fishing areas that are not fitting for the pattern that you develop.

Just my opinion.  I know that electronics are expensive.  But I feel that you do need something to be competitive at tournament fishing. 

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
The unit you're looking at seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. The description says it has GPS, but it doesn't show any screens related to the GPS in the available images, so I'm not sure what GPS functions it offers. And before buying anything, be sure to read lots and lots of reviews!

Also, shop around for pricing!!

Tackle Warehouse has it for less than Lowrance does:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lowrance_Hook2_4X_Series_Sonar/descpage-LHT.html?from=nebass

I did some poking around and I didn't find any reviews for this anywhere, so it's either really new, or very few people have bought it. As I said, though, do your homework before buying!

Offline ink_n_metal

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
I have a buddy that used to work the electronics counter at BPS.  He is pretty up to date on electronics.  I will ask him what he knows about this unit. 

One thing to look out for, when buying a unit with GPS, is wether or not it comes with or even needs an addition chip.  When I bought my lowrance, it came with the navionics chip.  I almost bought it at a different store, because they had a way better price, but then realized that it did not come with the chip.  So if I had bought it there, I would of had to spend an additional amount for the map chip.  Which would have then put me over the cost of the one that came with the chip.  Just something to watch out for.  Also, keep an eye out for BPS to have their spring classic sale.  Theynusually have some really great deals on electronics.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 11:30:11 AM »
What tracker are you getting, fully rigged or john boat ?  If your getting a rigged boat it will come with a basic unit!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
What tracker are you getting, fully rigged or john boat ?  If your getting a rigged boat it will come with a basic unit!

He's buying a used Tracker.

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 08:38:47 AM »
So is it 100% necessary? No. If you are looking for bang for your buck and want to go the cheap route you can purchase the Navionics app in HD for $50 and have that as your GPS. It will have the maps and contours of the lake and you can use that to navigate. Will it be as pinpoint accurate? No, but if you look at the places where you have had success on it I promise you will see something about that area that is drawing fish there. From there you can look at other areas of that pond or even look at other ponds for similar contours and that will help you unlock spots. I like having that on my tablet and I do a lot of research on their before I ever hit the water.

If you do get electronics after years of fishing I would like to say: don't let it change the way you fish!!! I fell victim to this myself, but you find yourself wandering around staring at a screen all day and not just fishing.

Also if you are interested in a boat. I am going to be trading in my 2002 Tracker175TXW. Its in good shape and runs like a top, but I am looking to upgrade. BPS offered me $3500 for it which I am considering because I just don't feel like dealing with the hassle of selling a boat. They will likely flip it for $7-8K so if someone locally wants to buy it, I am all ears. .
Bear Hill Baits

Offline ink_n_metal

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
@Brazzy I fell victim in to this.  Fished my whole life and felt like I knew what I was doing.  Got a boat with electronics and completely forgot how to fish.  This was along the same time that I started tournament fishing.  Spent my first three tournaments, staring at a screen and caught two fish, in the three tournaments combined. 😂😂.  Finally snapped to my senses, started fishing and everything was fine.  Was so busy trying to re learn how to fish, that I forgot that I already knew how to fish.

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:11:10 PM »
These units do so much more than my 350A in 1999 or my x5 in 1989. Amazing how the technology has gotten so much better for so much less.
I fish the bank alot and put down waypoints often in shallow water. It is great to know if a stump or rocks or weed bed or something is coming before you run over it. Just putting a fish mark down when you get a good one will show you a pattern over time especially on flats. Anyway even if you fish the bank the unit will pay for itself. I still have waypoints from back in my 350A days.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
@metz12 You've gotten a lot of great feedback here!!