Author Topic: Turned Wooden/Plastic Lures  (Read 541 times)

Offline metz12

• Shiner
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 5lbs SMB 2lbs 5oz. Both Watchaug pond Charlestown RI
  • My Boat: 1987 Bass Tracker 45hp Mercury
Turned Wooden/Plastic Lures
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:41:43 AM »
Hi guys, Hope you all had a great Christmas yesterday, and hoping for you all to have a great end and start of your year.

With all of my handmade Christmas presents soon coming to an end, I would like to start turning some lures on my lathe, and in the future offering them for sale. I have made a few topwater spooks, poppers, and one version of the MS Slammer that seem to work pretty well, but I would like to get into some more designs and shapes. Just figured I would post this here to see if any of you guys had any Ideas on shapes, sizes, blades, rattle Vs. no rattle etc. I havent really ventured into the topwater and big swimbait game as of yet, so I am a rookie when it comes to this sort of thing.

I will turn these out of Southern yellow pine, which is a harder softwood then say white or sugar pine. Also is very buoyant but can be weighted down with solder. I also have access to some HDPE (the same plastic that milk jugs and buckets are made out of) which I can easily turn with regular turning tools.

Thank you guys!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Turned Wooden/Plastic Lures
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 11:07:09 AM »
@metz12 There is a great market for homemade lures if they are of decent quality. They don't necessarily have to be unique. Just well made and able to catch fish well (obviously).

Your best bet, based on my experience, would be to pick one or two lure "genres" and become very proficient at making them. Big wooden swimbaits fetch good money and are something you can sell literally anywhere if you promote them properly.

I personally know of a few guys who make wooden lures by hand and have a very loyal customer base. The trick is to make something that is tried and true, and give it a little twist to make it stand out.

Again, though, it will need to catch fish very well. I can help you with more ideas if this is something you want to pursue. PM me for more info or give me a call sometime.

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 01:05:22 PM »
Good for you for getting this up and running. The big swimbaits would likely be a hot seller just because they are so expensive right now. The only catch is that other people are seeing that and a lot of people are looking to dive into that business as well due the prices those are going for. They don't seem that tough to make, but the internet is raving about them and the profit margin is huge. So what will likely happen is we will see an over saturation of them, prices will drop and the margin will shrink.

The one think I will suggest is put quality first. When you say walking baits, the market is just saturated with them, but they all look at it as because its a simple bait that they can cut corners. For example Strike King makes the sexy dawg in a whole mess of awesome colors. They look great and work well but put just awful hooks on them. If a fish is hooked well on them, the hooks will break while trying to get the hook out of the fish. That causes me to replace every hook on all those baits. As a customer, we should not have to do things like that. So Curt is right in that you don't have to invent something new, but if you give it to people in a way they have never seen before you will likely see a loyal group of followers. Also, you will see opportunities to take a created product and build upon it. There are a lot of great baits out there, but a lot of them have a flaw.. fix the flaw and you got something. For example.. the whopper plopper has really caught on as a big fish catching lure. Other companies are now starting to make similar items but I don't know of one yet that has solved some of the biggest flaws with the bait. The first is that even one rogue blade of grass will stop that prop. Something that will keep that prop clear would make that thing a beast, and the second flaw is once the prop stops the bait spins out of control and will twist your line horrendously. Find a way to keep that prop free of grass (like a small guard on it) and have that front eye swivel and you have something there.

I am working on something very similar with my soft plastics. My molds are that of some of my favorite baits to throw. However, there are things about those baits I feel can be improved upon. Different colors, softness vs durability, scent, salt, buoyancy, etc.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 05:02:49 PM »
All great points, @Brazzy

As for the big swimbaits, find a unique approach... a little twist that makes your baits better than others and you'll build a following.

Big swimbaits have some subtle differences that will make or break them when it comes to catching fish, and especially giant fish. Again, PM me or call me and I'll talk to you about those things a bit more in depth.

By the way, I have seen some of the baits @Brazzy is making. They are great quality and I look forward to seeing what he does with them to make them better than store bought baits.

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »
@metz12 Not trying to steal your thunder, remember I sell spinners and buzzers not wooden baits. What I've been doing lately is stripping down lures that I like the action or style of and repainting them in colors that work best for me in the waters I fish. Keep in mind I don't sell them,  these are for my personal use and I just have more confidence in them. What I'm trying to say is you don't have to re-invent the wheel, the difference can be subtle as long as it catches fish. Here's my last two baits.  Good luck
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline metz12

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
@toadhunter I didn't think you were trying to steal your thunder. I hope I am not stealing your thunder! I honestly would like to make some lures for friends, and fellow forum users before I start selling anything. Also I do love the barter system! (hint hint  ;D) (maybe @Brazzy could jump on this as well with his plastics  ;D ) I do enjoy giving things away that I make. It can also help out in the future with sales. I have been looking into the JigSkinz as well so I dont have to get into the airbrushing game. Thats a whole different rabbit hole, and more eqipment that I dont have the space and the money for. Simple spraypaint and brush on paintjobs is all I want to get into. Maybe makeing some stencils will be in my future. 

Offline toadhunter

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 01:37:18 PM »
@metz12 , the lures in the pic i posted were done with spray paint, I would spend hours painting if I had a air brush.
Owner, Toad Hunter Spinnerbaits

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
Absolutely. With my plastics I have molds of some of my favorite baits. I have used the baits for years, but have yet to throw the ones I have made since it was so late in the year. I am not going to sell something that I cannot vouch for catching fish myself. I did not get into this to make money. It was more of an off-season hobby to really tailor the baits to my liking and in the long run save me money. If it evolves into something where it can fray the costs of my fishing addiction then so be it (Im never going to "make" money fishing). So far I have been making small sample packs and giving them to people who run forums, fishing clubs, or any other online club just to try and get feedback on them. In the spring I will likely roll out a series of videos of the baits, how I throw them and what feedback I have gotten and start throwing in packs of baits as prize packs for tournaments.

Im actually really excited for some of the new molds I have coming is because they are of a couple of my favorite baits that I love to use, but always felt like they made a minor flaws. The first is the KVD Dream Shot from Strike King. They salt the plastic making it more dense and for a drop shot bait I dont know if I like that. The density makes me feel like I have to over work it to keep it horizontal as the bait does sink and will just fall vertical if you are not twitching the rod tip constantly. I have some experience using an X-Zone Slammer which has a bit of buoyancy in the tail that I really liked. I will be experimenting in adding a buoyancy to the tail of a dream shot, adding a scent and then tweaking the colors.

The other bait I love to pitch is a Reins Crawtube. This is a great bait to pitch in vegetation, but I think everyone I know who has ever used it immediately pinches the claws off of it to make it more streamlined (their only purpose is to slow the fall). Also I feel like Reins limits the colors a bit vs a company like Missile Baits. If I am pitching a texas rigged tube I like it to have ribs so I can skin hook the point on the ribs and not let it get buried in the plastic (since its already punching through so much plastic). So I have a 4"  ribbed tube coming that I am looking to make with a more durable (harder) plastic, no salt and in colors such as "candy grass". Also the tube ill have more "meat" in the head than most tubes of it to be more durable while its texas rigged, but still have a cavity large enough to stuff an ear plug in there (if you choose) to make it stand straight up. .

I threw those 2 ideas out there as examples of what I mean by making minor tweaks to existing baits to make them batter. Even if its just taking the things you like about 1 bait and combining with the things you like about another bait.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline metz12

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 06:09:05 PM »
Absolutely. With my plastics I have molds of some of my favorite baits. I have used the baits for years, but have yet to throw the ones I have made since it was so late in the year. I am not going to sell something that I cannot vouch for catching fish myself. I did not get into this to make money. It was more of an off-season hobby to really tailor the baits to my liking and in the long run save me money. If it evolves into something where it can fray the costs of my fishing addiction then so be it (Im never going to "make" money fishing). So far I have been making small sample packs and giving them to people who run forums, fishing clubs, or any other online club just to try and get feedback on them. In the spring I will likely roll out a series of videos of the baits, how I throw them and what feedback I have gotten and start throwing in packs of baits as prize packs for tournaments.

I have some experience using an X-Zone Slammer which has a bit of buoyancy in the tail that I really liked. I will be experimenting in adding a buoyancy to the tail of a dream shot, adding a scent and then tweaking the colors.

The other bait I love to pitch is a Reins Crawtube. This is a great bait to pitch in vegetation, but I think everyone I know who has ever used it immediately pinches the claws off of it to make it more streamlined (their only purpose is to slow the fall).

I agree with you 100%. I am not at all trying to get rich or make money on these lures I make as of yet. More just to subsidize the cost of fishing. I do like giving my stuff for people to use. Its awesome to see people actually use the stuff that I make.

As for the plastics, I have seen some big fish and alot of fish caught with the X zone slammer on a dropshot. The bulbus head seelms to hold together well when getting hooked, and the tail has a great twitch to it looking just like a small baitfish. With the creature bait tube, Ive wanted to try those but just have not pulled the trigger on them. On the other hand, my go to flipping bait is a watermelon red flake creature bait. Either a Salty B Bug or the X zone Muscle back craw. I like using a bullet weight or a "perfect worm rig" (hook with a bullet weight already cast on the hook) but sometimes I want a slower fall rate. Throwing creature baits weightless I find catches more fish, but the fall rate is so slow. Maybe something with a higher salt content would be better to add weight? Not sure, maybe I am just being crazy.