Author Topic: How to best measure or determine smoothness of a spinning reel??  (Read 753 times)

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
How to best measure or determine smoothness of a spinning reel??
« on: November 25, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »
Should a brand new spinning reel out of the box spin freely when you turn the handle? By this I mean should you be able to crank the handle firmly and have the reel turn over multiple times, ie more than two or three? I just purchased a new Okuma RTX online and when I took it out of the box, the retrieve, when turning the handle, feels VERY stiff. When I "spin" the handle, it may revolve once, one and a half times max. Is that normal? My shimanos will turn 4 times easy when you crank the handle, with no stiff feeling what so ever.. I am not sure if this is the measure of a reel's smoothness or not.  The Okuma RTX (which I read has been compared to the Ci4) I just received feels so much stiffer than my other reels.  It is smooth with you turn the handle, ie no grinding, no gear mashing, no negative feedback other than just a firmer starting inertia than my other reels.  Just curious if I should send it back under the notion that there is something not right with the reel? I would appreciate any feedback on this topic.  Thank you.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: How to best measure or determine smoothness of a spinning reel??
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:18:22 AM »
Some reels need a little break in time! Could also be too much grease inside?

Could also be a problem. If you have concerns better to return now while you can!

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »
I am going to take the reel apart and clean it and apply some lubricant to see if that helps.   I think, based on what others have told me, that how many times the handle rotates on a firm spin doesn't really indicate or tell you much of anything.  Just that it was so noticeably different than my experience with Shimanos, ie my NASCI will loop/spin five times on one good push of the handle.   Thanks for the feedback.   Let's see what a cleaning does for the reel.   

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »
Used to buy okumas from Dicks. Strattus.... now and then I will use one of these. They were great until using the shimano. Can't go back.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 09:29:28 PM by Eric-Maine »