Author Topic: Winter Tackle Care  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
Winter Tackle Care
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:11:47 PM »
It was very sad seeing my canoe just hanging on my garage wall and not being able to get out and fish. Here is a question, and perhaps this should be another topic, (if so Curt throw this question out of here :) ) what does everyone do for winter care for their lines, reels/rods and also lures.

I am really curious about lures and such... I just really started this season to pick up crank baits, spinner baits, frogs and many other lures and want to keep them in great condition in the off season and also have them ready to go for the spring. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 04:12:43 PM by Curt - RI »
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Winter Tackle Care
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »
There are lots of things that should be done with tackle for Winter storage. Here are a few of them that come to mind right away.

Strip all line from your reels. It'll all need to be fresh when you start fishing in the Spring.

Back the drag all the way off on all of your reels, whether they're spinning or baitcasting reels.

Store your rods in a vertical position or completely horizontal, with no weight on them. Storing them in a way that causes to to remain bent all winter long can damage the blank and cause it to take on a permanent bend.

Make sure your tackle box is completely dry inside. Open all the compartments and allow them to air dry.

Check hooks for rust or corrosion. Any hooks with rust or corrosion should be replaced during the Winter months.

There's a good start for you. I know I missed a ton of stuff, so let's hear some suggestions from others now too ;)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »
Those little silicone bags you get in the box with new electronic gear are great for controlling moisture. Just throw them in you tackle boxes and store in a dry area!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »
That's a great point, Joe. I put those small packets in my Plano boxes throughout the season and I also put the larger ones that come in furniture and electronics boxes in the storage compartments of my boat to help absorb moisture in there too.

My wife and kids know that I use them, so every time they get something new they save theses for me so I can use them :)

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 02:54:36 PM »
Never thought of using those to keep things dry. With Christmas coming up I know I will be getting or seeing a few of those so now they are going to go right into the tacklebox. Great tips guys...

Is there any use in sharpening or trying to bring back a hook that may have a little rust on them? Or is it better to just go get new ones?
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
Typically if a hook gets rusty it's headed for my closest trash can. Old timers might tell you to soak it in something to remove the rust, but once a hook is rusted it'll rust over and over again. So it's not worth trying to save it.

The only exception might be if only the very tip is very slightly rusty. This can be cleaned up with a bit of very fine sandpaper, but it's tedious and so much easier just to use a new hook!

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »
Once you have the reels off the rods, you can clean the rods with furniture polish or a good car wax, you will be surprised at how good they will look.  It's also a good idea to do it once or twice during the fishing season.  Check for loose guides or severe cracks in the epoxy covering over the thread that has secured the guides.  Water can seep in, compromize the thread and even cause the guides to start russting.  The guides should be re-wrapped with new thread and epoxy.

Now is also the time to clean up your cork handles, I use Wesley's Bleche-White, I know, it's a tire cleaner but it works and I have been using it for years.  Spray on, don't worry about getting it on the reel seat, and rub briskly with a terry towel, let dry and that's it.  You might want to think of sealing the cork too with Trondak's U-40 cork sealer, personally I use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil which you can find at any decent woodworking store and even at som Wal-Marts.  I have cork rod handles finished with BWC that haven't needed cleaning in five years.

Check the rod tip tops, if they twist, time to reglue.  Most rod tips are secured with hot melt glue, secure a rubber band through the guide tip, plull the band with pliers or foreceps while gently heating the guide with a grill lighter.  The guide will pop off and not fly all over the place.  Don't heat too long, if it first doesn't move, wait a minute or two and try again.  Using the rubber band as opposed to holding the guide directly prevents you from twisting the rod tip and possibly breaking it. Clean off any left over glue from the end of the rod, use a Scotch Brite pad, never sandpaper, you will cut into the rod fibers and weaken the tip. Most tackle shops or Dick's, Cabela's will have Fuji rod tip glue sticks, melt the glue, try to get some inside the tip top tube and on the end of the rod and slip the tip top back over the end of the rod.  Don't forget to realign the tip top with the rest of the guides.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:05 PM »
Great tips Ray :)

I have a question for you about a rod handle. On my spinnerbait rod, the cork handle cracked down near the butt of the handle. I know that the bottom inch or so of the cork is going to break off sooner or later, unless there is some way to fix it.

Do you have any recommendations for fixing this? Would it help if I took a picture of it and posted it for you to see?

Thanks

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
That happened to one of my spinning rods a few years ago Curt. I glued it with some wood glue and it's held ever since.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
Curt, it is a relatively easy fix depending on if a butt cap is involved.  You would cut off the offending cork, prefferably at a cork ring juncture, find some cork rings with the same approximate diameter, ream out the centers to fit the end of the blank, glue them back onto the blank and sand them down to match the taper of the original cork.

I could probably do it for less than $10.00, I have lots of extra cork and the proper glue, etc.

I'll be in Newport for the Christmas weekend at a hockey tournament, maybe we can hook up as I get off or on 95 in Westerly.

Joe's method would work too but probably only for a short time as he most likely glued the cork to cork, what you want to do is glue the cork to the rod blank.  And that is the reason your cork is breaking up, not enough glue used to bind the cork to the rod or the rod blank wasn't prepared properly to isure the glue would make a solid bond.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
Curt, it is a relatively easy fix depending on if a butt cap is involved.  You would cut off the offending cork, prefferably at a cork ring juncture, find some cork rings with the same approximate diameter, ream out the centers to fit the end of the blank, glue them back onto the blank and sand them down to match the taper of the original cork.

I could probably do it for less than $10.00, I have lots of extra cork and the proper glue, etc.

I'll be in Newport for the Christmas weekend at a hockey tournament, maybe we can hook up as I get off or on 95 in Westerly.

I was actually thinking about gluing it too, but I think I'd rather have it done right and done once.

Ray, let me know how you want to arrange meeting me so I can get this done by you.

Thanks guys :)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 07:32:05 PM »
Ray, I went through my rods yesterday and found two others that need repair. One needs some work on the reel seat and the other needs a new tip.

Let me know if you'd like to take care of this for me. I'll meet you somewhere so I can get them to you to be fixed during the winter.

PM me if you need more info on the repairs needed.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Curt, yes, I'd like the opportunity to fix your rods.  I'm thinking the 26th might be a good day although it might depend on what car we take to Newport for the weekend.

I'd be using the 178 connector to get on Route 1, maybe Benny's parking lot.

I'll keep you posted.