Author Topic: 150 hp Merc Four Stroke Enough Power for a 20' Deep V Aluminum Boat??  (Read 208 times)

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
Just purchased a new Tracker Targa 20, which is a 20'2" long boat with a full 8 1/2 foot beam.    This boat has a Merc 150 hp four stroke, which I have on a 19'6" long boat with an 8 foot beam and it worked great, but this new boat his heavier, wider and longer.   I am thinking repower before I hit the water while the motor is still brand new.  As soon as I hit the water, the motor is used and its trade value is less.   I am thinking that the boat would be better powered with a 200 hp Yamaha inline 4 four stroke.   Anyone with any experience with 20 foot deep Vs and 150 hp four stroke.?   Please share your feedback/experience.   Thank you

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: 150 hp Merc Four Stroke Enough Power for a 20' Deep V Aluminum Boat??
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
First question: What is the max HP the boat is rated for?

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:00:25 AM »
Here's a review with a 225 on it.  I always like to max out the HP on boats! It helps on resale also.

http://www.boattest.com/review/tracker/3391_targa-v-20-wt

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
First question: What is the max HP the boat is rated for?

It is rated for 250, but I also know that just because its rated for 250 doesn't meant that is the best fit for the boat.  I am not a speed racer, and I don't tournament fish, so I don't need to be going 70 mph to beat everyone to the "spot" but I do want to have sufficient to get the boat on plane and keep it there at reasonable cruising speeds without working too hard to do so.

I also wanted to see what people's personal experience was, ie were they comfortable iwth a 150 hp on this size boat, or did they feel that more HP was needed to truly enjoy the boat and if so, how much more, ie 175, 200, 225 or 250...

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
Here's a review with a 225 on it.  I always like to max out the HP on boats! It helps on resale also.

http://www.boattest.com/review/tracker/3391_targa-v-20-wt

resale is truly a consideration, but the biggest consideration is how the boat performs with the stock motor and how it would perform differently if it had a bigger motor.   I love those boat test sites, and I spent a ton of time on them, but unfortunately they don't tell you which motor they would prefer and why...  I think personal experience is the best way to determine these things and was hoping to get personal experience from folks on this website.  My gut tells me I am not going to be happy, which is why I am hear...  :-) :puking:

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »
If the boat is rated for a 250, then my recommendation would be to go with the 250. Most boats perform their best when running the max HP outboards.

If you opt for less than that, the absolute lowest I would go is the 225.

In the end, it's not necessarily about top speed, but, as you mentioned, good performance without straining the outboard is important.

Also necessary to consider is planing time. A boat that's rated for a 250 will undoubtedly take a lot longer to plane with the 150 hanging off the back.

Not sure if this will come into play for you or not, but whether the boat will eventually have power poles or talons on the back is also a something to think about. They add considerable weight to the back end of a boat and will require more power to get the boat on plane faster.

All stuff to consider. But when everything is said and done, I would never recommend a boat that size with a 150 HP on it, especially when it's rated for a 250  :nope: