Author Topic: How Did Everyone Fare?  (Read 790 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
How Did Everyone Fare?
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:04:10 PM »
How did everyone make out with the storm?

I have no idea how much we got here. The wind blew it around so much it's tough to know. My guess is somewhere between 6 & 8 inches.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: How Did Everyone Fare?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
I'm guessing around 8" or so. I had a foot and a half in spots blown in the driveway ;D Snowblower was really hard working to move it!

Also put in 10 arborvitaes two years ago that i might lose! They're bent over due to the ice that's on them from the rain before the snow :P

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
You're right, Joe. It was really hard work to clear even with the snowblower!

I'm sore from doing my own driveway. And then yesterday morning I went to a neighbor's house to clear her driveway for her and my snowblower threw the belt that drives the snow throwing mechanism. I was only 10 minutes into it when that happened, so I ended up shoveling the entire thing by hand. Thankfully my wife came to help, but were both pretty tired out after that  (giggle)

She has a horseshoe driveway and the berms at each end were brutal. A lot of it was big chunks of ice and semi-frozen snow.  :facepalm:

As for those arborvitaes, get out there and shake off the snow and ice and try to get them standing upright again, even if it means having to tie them off with stakes. They are usually pretty hardy and will go back upright if you baby them for a while.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 10:35:19 AM »
I did shake them off during the storm. The problem was they were encased in ice and frozen snow clumps on the branches. Couldn't get it off with out breaking the branches!

They should make it as long as there's no breaks in the trunks.