Author Topic: Spinning for all bass fishing methods?? Is there a need for anything else?  (Read 804 times)

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
With the advancement in line technology (zero memory, thinner diameter, greater strength) and the advancement in gearing on spinning reels (higher retrieve rates and better drag systems), is there really a need to fish both spinning and bait casting applications or why one would choose bait casting over spinning?   You can get rods with the appropriate backbone and/or sensitivity paired with the right line in terms of breaking point and abrasion resistance, that makes spinning gear capable of handling any and all bass fishing applications.  I fish swim baits, jigs, tubes, senkos, crankbaits, spinnerbaits and top water.  I have always fished spinning gear, and although I am an admitted newbie in terms of years of experience, I wonder if I am missing something, other than spending more money than I already do, by not fishing bait casting set-ups for smallmouth bass in the northeast?  

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: Spinning for all bass fishing methods?? Is there a need for anything else?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
I prefer baitcasting for most of my fishing, especially when fishing larger baits!  I use a couple of spinning rods for small soft plastics and light jigs and grubs.

It's mostly personal preference, nothing wrong using all spinning!  And spending more money and fishing go hand in hand ;D

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
Can you spin only yes; should you no. Same for the converse. Down in Florida this week, not once was a pinning rod the right rod. Fished lake Ontario last fall..never once picked up a baitcaster. There is a place for both.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »
@Joe P and @Eric-Maine hit the nail on the head.

Each setup has its time and place. I fish baitcasting gear the majority of the time, mostly because of the baits I throw and the methods I fish with.

Sometimes using spinning gear just plain won't work, or at least won't give you optimum results. Anytime heavy cover is involved would be a time when spinning gear might be futile.

Offline Crestliner

• Guppy
    • View Profile
Again, another "catch-up" since I'm new here. Hope that's ok?

I'm looking at a rack with 6 baitcasters and over a dozen spinning rigs. I use to love using the baitcasters, just because I come from a manufacturing background and appreciate machinery, which bc reels can certainly be classified as. Love the complexity and design variations, as well as durability and ease of use.

That being said, these days I've just about lost any interest in using baitcasting rigs, simply because spinning rigs are that much easier to use for these old bones and less than stellar muscles! And I haven't found anything, I fish for here in New England, that I can't do with a spinning rig. That goes for deep water jigging, drop shotting, general bass fishing and of course, panfishing. However, if I were fishing heavy cover with heavy jigs, naturally, the baitcasters would give me an edge. But not that much more of an edge, if you are truly honest about it.

Modern spinning reels and rods have advanced tremendously over the years and I'd be willing to bet that there few situations where a baitcaster would give you a greater advantage over a spinning rig - in the hands of an experienced angler of course. Just my opinion.

BTW.....I do have a bunch of B/C rigs for sale if anyone is interested! :)
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure"

Offline DA TOAD

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Largemouth 8lb 3oz...1978...Central Mass...Smallmouth 5lb 9oz Quabbin 2012. I primarily target smallmouth and trout.
  • My Boat: 18' Lund Alaskan,Merc 25HP Tiller, ONIX 10 Touch, only used on the Quabbin. 14' Lund SSV 10HP Merc Tiller for all other places
BTW.....I do have a bunch of B/C rigs for sale if anyone is interested! :)

I was going to say post them up for sale on here Cresty but then I checked and saw that there is no "FOR SALE" section on here. ???  Might be something for the moderators/owner to consider...NO? :)
A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
I was going to say post them up for sale on here Cresty but then I checked and saw that there is no "FOR SALE" section on here. ???  Might be something for the moderators/owner to consider...NO? :)

There is a classified section for selling items!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
@DA TOAD  Classifieds are right here: http://forums.northeastbass.com/index.php/board,4.0.html  ;D

@Crestliner I agree that spinning rods and reels have come a long way during the last 20 years. But, like @Eric-Maine and @Joe P said, I feel that there are suitable applications for both.

Open water fishing is definitely good with spinning gear, although I admit that I use baitcasting gear for this most of the time too. But when it comes to fishing in and around heavier cover, baitcasting gear gets the nod every time. Even fishing "around" heavy cover (not necessarily right in it), I still prefer casting gear for the ability to "winch" a bass away from that heavier cover and keep them from manhandling me and getting wrapped up in thick stuff that's nearby.

This is obviously just my own personal preference and I know that everyone has their own preference too  :yes:

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 2oz
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 XT Special Edition
I would agree with you Curt. The other application I would say is deep cranking. If I was throwing a 6XD all day (or multiple days in a row) on a spinning rod it would take its toll on me. If I was only going for a few hours here and there maybe you could get away with it. However, in tournament situations or for long fishing trips that could last multiple days fatigue sets in. My first guided trip with a pro he critiqued a number of things I did wrong with my casting, posture, retrieve, or just how I stood on the boat. All of it was conserving energy and fatigue. I never really thought about getting tired while fishing, but he opened my eyes to it a bit. They are in a totally different world with the stress of the tournament and the need for a pay check. Also its long days for them. When you get tired you start day dreaming a bit, stop paying attention, and a strike comes and you just are ready and you forget the basics and set all wrong and just launch your bait at you 90 MPH. I'm sure we have all lost focus at some point that cost us a fish. Now I tend to avoid tournament fishing. I feel it takes the fun out of it. However, when I do go out I look to go out for 6-10 hours  and when I travel I plan on doing that multiple days in a row. If I am cranking, pitching into cover, frogging, or doing something where I am burning a bait I would prefer a baitcast reel. It can be done with a spinning rod, but a baitcast rod would do it a lot more efficiently.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
Well said, @Brazzy  :thumbup: