Author Topic: Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype?  (Read 594 times)

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype?
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:08:39 PM »
I fish spinning reels exclusively and am always on the lookout for low memory line to minimize twisting and backlash situations.  Berkley has a ton of claims with its new Nanofil line and I am wondering if anyone has tried it and if so, what their take/feedback is after having used it??

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 2oz
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker Pro Team 175 XT Special Edition
Re: Berkley Nanofil - Real or Hype?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:21:13 AM »
This was a question that came up when talking to Chris Lane and Ish Monroe and they both really didnt see a need for such a line. Their reasoning for the most part was in applications where you need a line with no stretch and the ability to pull a fish from cover that you are often looking to trigger a reaction strike. When triggering a reaction strike, the fish seeing the line doesnt matter so use braid. When you want a little bit of stretch and the fish seeing the line matters use fluoro. That was their take on it. I have yet to try it, mostly because at this point I dont know what application calls for it. I know when to use braid, I know when to use mono, and I know when to use fluoro... I dont know where the nanofil comes into play. I guess time will tell.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
I agree with everything @Brazzy said. Between Mono, Braid and Fluoro there really doesn't seem to be a need for something else  :nope:

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:36 PM »
So Bass University sent me a pretty nice care package and in it was of course a spool of nanofil. Anyone else mess around with this stuff? I was thinking of using it in a finesse application on a spinning reel, but any benefit of it over using a really light braid with a fluoro leader?

Offline Crestliner

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »
Being new here and trying to catch up with what's being talked about, I was interested in this critique of Nanofil. For the record, I've tried using Nano for about 2 full seasons on spinning applications, both UL through bass applications. That was about 2 years ago. I was mainly interested in using the lighter pound tests for crappie fishing, but I also got spools of the 10 & 12 lb. test as well, to try on bass.

In the lighter tests the line is pure, unadulterated garbage. It is nearly impossible to tie reliable knots with this stuff when tying direct, as well as joint knots for leaders. The Alberto knot was a failure (which I've tied and have been using for over a half dozen years) for connecting Nano to fluorocarbon leaders. And this is the same for the higher tests as well. Can't tell you how many panfish and jigs I've lost using this stuff. I've tied direct as well, using the Triline Knot, the Palomar knot and Cinch as well. Knots just typically fail.

Now I hate using braids like PowerPro, simply because of the noise it makes when bring in your fish. Seems to me like it's grinding your guides like a rasp. So, I've now switched mainly to Fireline Crystal. This is not a braid per say, but a fused line, which flows and retrieves effortlessly through guides. Add that it loves the Alberto leader knot and I've found a winner!

I use Crystal in 2# test, 4#, 6# and 10# test strengths. All have proven reliable without the sing-song retrieve noise. And I have landed very decent panfish, smallmouth bass and pike with this line. I would highly recommend it. Not so much with this Nanofil line however. Just my opinion folks! :)
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure"

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
If you are not a fan of some of the coarse braid try some of the smoother styles out there. I prefer 12lb sunline but power pro slick I have used as well. The coarse braids like power pro spectra I would only use in a power fishing situation particularly around vegetation. That stuff cuts through lily pads and grass like butter. However for the reasons you mentioned I don't like the coarse braids for finesse fishing.

Offline DA TOAD

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Largemouth 8lb 3oz...1978...Central Mass...Smallmouth 5lb 9oz Quabbin 2012. I primarily target smallmouth and trout.
  • My Boat: 18' Lund Alaskan,Merc 25HP Tiller, ONIX 10 Touch, only used on the Quabbin. 14' Lund SSV 10HP Merc Tiller for all other places
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 04:12:16 PM »
I agrees with Cresty on the nan0-fil.

My opinion is if you want to avoid line twist go with a braid.  I have been a fan of PowerPro for 5+ years.  I never have twist problems and it lasts forever.  Many guys don't like the sound of it coming thru the eyes.  Doesn't bother me but if one does not like give a look a Power Pro slick and kiss the noise goodbye.

Good to see you on here Cresty.
A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 05:55:44 PM »
Here is the reality, I have tried the nanofil product several times this summer for several different types of applications and like someone posted earlier, the product is akin to wet toilet paper.  I had been fishing all day using Sufix 832 Braid with a Florocarbon leader and was landing fish after fish after fish, all of decent size, with no lost fish at all.  Spinnerbaits, crankbaits and jerkbaits, no lost fish.  I went to smaller crank and jerk baits using nanofil and all three hooks I had, knots pulled and line snaps.   

Trial official over, nanofil not for me, full time braid with florocarbon leader.  Braid on spinning gear casts a mile, is tough as nails, little to no twisting and very much more manageable on the spinning spool.   I am sold and Sufix it is for me.  Casts a mile.  Quiet through the guides.  And very durable/manageable.  I even like the Sufix Nano Braid.  That is GREAT stuff.  Especially when compared to Nanofil.

Like many things in life, I asked for your collective feedback, and for some stupid reason I ignored it.  Three fish lost and three very expensive lures lost.  Lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks for everyone's feedback and input.   Much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nick