Author Topic: Number of Bearings in a Spinning Reel - Vintage Shimano vs Today's Reels  (Read 534 times)

Offline shimanoangler

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
Looking for a little feedback.  I have several of the older, original, Shimano reels, circa 1980s, made in japan with 3 ball bearings.  The reels are smooth and rugged, as the bodies are made with steel not aluminum, and I love the rear fighting drag systems.  Aside from being a little heavier than their aluminum counterparts, I am looking for feedback on whether I am missing something with today's higher ball bearing count reels?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Number of Bearings in a Spinning Reel - Vintage Shimano vs Today's Reels
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 11:16:07 AM »
I don't have any feedback for you on this one, but I'll be interested to hear what anyone else might have to say about it.

By the way, @shimanoangler Welcome to the site!  o/

Offline Crestliner

• Guppy
    • View Profile
I can throw in my two cents here. I currently have 3 of the older Shimanos, before they changed their design and boosted up the pricing. These are the Sahara's and Symetre models. All three have caused significant failure issues due to the "frinction ring" on the head rotor. The reels, in use, just lock up and you're doomed!

The fix for these was easy however and the rings have been replace once on both of the Saharas and twice on the Symetre. I know these are not top of the line Shimanos, but they are true workhorses and for us less than financially independent fishermen, they'll "due to ride the river" with as an old Texas Ranger once said.

That being said, looking at an extra $20.00 - $30.00 a pop for these new Shimanos, I would not buy another one. I've found a much better alternative. The Pfleuger President series. These reels are well designed, light in weight and very durable. I have 3 of these now, which have replaced most of my frequently used arsenal. Been using them for 3 seasons now, with no ill showings. For the buck, these reels just cannot be equaled anywhere. Again.....just my opinion folks!
"A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure"

Offline DA TOAD

• Guppy
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: Largemouth 8lb 3oz...1978...Central Mass...Smallmouth 5lb 9oz Quabbin 2012. I primarily target smallmouth and trout.
  • My Boat: 18' Lund Alaskan,Merc 25HP Tiller, ONIX 10 Touch, only used on the Quabbin. 14' Lund SSV 10HP Merc Tiller for all other places
Good stuff Cresty...thaks.  o/
A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Those Pfleuger President reels are really nice. I have one and really like it!
You can usually find them on sale around 50 bucks 8)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Those Pfleuger President reels are really nice. I have one and really like it!
You can usually find them on sale around 50 bucks 8)

That sounds like a great deal for a good reel  :thumbup: