Author Topic: Heavier Gear Gin Clear Water?  (Read 4312 times)

Offline MaineGuideMK

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
Heavier Gear Gin Clear Water?
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:27:03 AM »
The water here in Maine is very clear. I normally fish 8lb fluoro on 6'6" or 7' medium rods. I throw lots of crank baits and plastics for smallmouth. Recently, I've been getting into some big largemouth on texas rigged craws and 1/4 oz jigs. The big fish keep breaking me off. In open water they go under the boat and rub the line against the boat. In tight cover they rub on a tree or dock post and break me off. If I tighten down my drag and horse them, they break me off.

Any suggestions? Should I go to braid with a flour leader? Can I stick with spinning gear? Thoughts?

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: Heavier Gear Gin Clear Water?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:52 AM »
Braid with a floro leader is a good idea but if you want to stick with floro just put some 15 lb test on.

For jigs i use either 14 lb mono or 15 lb floro.  no break offs in a long time.  And use a good knot!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »
First off, welcome to the site  o/

I'm with Joe. I would move up to 14 or 15 lb. fluoro. I suppose if you prefer to stick to spinning gear, you could go up to 12 lb. fluoro and most of your break-offs would probably disappear.

If you end up moving to 14 or 15 lb. test, switch to casting gear.

And if you decide to use braid with a fluoro leader, I would suggest using 12 lb. fluoro for the leader,, not the typical 8 lb. test. But keep in mind that braid and rocks don't play well together. And I know that a lot of the Maine lakes have abundant rock cover!

Offline MaineGuideMK

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I liked the idea of minimizing line twist and keeping line diameter low with braid. Can I use a 20lb leader with 30lb braid? But Curt, you made a good point about the rocks. Most of my fish come off of rocky ledges and structure. Maybe braid isn't the best idea.   

I've watched a lot of videos where guys throw 20lb fluoro on bait casters. No one I know up here uses a bait caster. Are they necessary for clear, cold lakes where a 7lb fish is really big? I don't want to go too heavy.  Maybe I should just get a beefier spinning outfit?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 02:04:49 PM »
@MaineGuideMK Honestly, I think your best bet would be to upgrade to 12 lb. fluoro on a spinning outfit. You may not need to upgrade your rod/reel, as long as your current reel will handle 12 lb. line without any issues.

Personally, I use 14, 15 & 17 lb. line (some mono and some fluoro) on my baitcasters. My few spinning rods are setup with either 8 lb. or 10 lb. mono.

My favorite mono is Sufix Siege. By far the best mono I've ever used. Super smooth to use and very tough. I use the 10 lb. on my spinning gear (2 different rods) and either 14 or 17 lb. on casting rods.

I use the smoke green color. And the best part is that it doesn't cost an arm and half a leg to buy  :nope:

Offline Eric-Maine

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +40/-0
  • I love NorthEast Bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:11:55 PM »
The beauty of braid to floro is you can use pretty much any lb test leader. I use 10lb braid with 15lb red label seagar a lot on spinning gear.

Offline MaineGuideMK

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 07:54:49 AM »
What I ended up doing was taking an older 4000 size reel and putting 10lb mono on it. Then I put on a 12lb fluoro leader with a surgeon's knot. This seemed to work very well. I didn't get into any fish over 3 lbs, but I pulled some fish out of some nasty trees without breaking off. Had I been using my old 8lb fluoro setup, I know I would have lost several jigs. 

Thanks for the help everyone.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »
@MaineGuideMK Glad it worked out well for you!

For anyone who wants to know how to tie a surgeon's knot, here are two videos to show you how. I hadn't heard of using a surgeon's knot for connecting two lines, so I looked it up. Looks like a super easy knot to tie!

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:02:04 PM »
More and more on spinning rods you are seeing pros braid to fluoro for finesse fishing. I started doing a couple of rods with this set up I love it.  I had a good conversation with Paul Mueller on this and he is all about it. In this the FG knot is absolutely money and  use 10-12 lb fluoro leader and you should be good to go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:33:40 PM by Brazzy »
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
More and more on spinning rods you are seeing pros braid to fluoro for finesse fishing. I started doing a couple of rods with this set up I love it.  I had a good conversation with Paul Mueller on this and he is all about it. In this the FJ knot is absolutely money and  use 10-12 lb fluoro leader and you should be good to go.

@Brazzy FJ knot?

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
Apologies on the typo. The FG knot. Its an odd knot and not one I like to tie on the boat but its the strongest fluoro to braid knot there is despite it making no sense to me. Essentially the braid is woven around the fluoro and knotted.. but the fluoro is not knotted at all. The braid grips the fluoro be essentially cutting into it about 20 times.

Bear Hill Baits

Offline MaineGuideMK

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2016, 02:25:46 PM »
I've heard the FG knot is the way to go with braid.  I've used the surgeon's knot for many years to tie tippet material to a leader on my fly gear. It's a super easy and very effective knot. I have a lot of faith in it.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
Apologies on the typo. The FG knot. Its an odd knot and not one I like to tie on the boat but its the strongest fluoro to braid knot there is despite it making no sense to me. Essentially the braid is woven around the fluoro and knotted.. but the fluoro is not knotted at all. The braid grips the fluoro be essentially cutting into it about 20 times.

Hmmm...  :hmm:

Interesting, to say the least.

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2016, 03:57:32 PM »
Yes it is. There was a website that did a test of a number of knots that connected braid to fluoro and this one won the contest by a wide margin. The end result was that the fluoro failed up the line before the knot ever did. With its design it can be mind boggling because you wonder what stops the fluoro from slipping through the knot? It essentially acts like a chinese finger trap. Ive gotten to the point where I feel I have mastered it on dry land (on a boat I cant do it while moving and I just dont have the patience since I usually just want to get a line in the water). There are a number of YouTube videos on doing this knot. The one key for it to me it to keep it tight as you go. I tried to treat it like a lot of other knots thinking I do the knot and cinch it at the end.. doesnt work. Keep it tight as you go.   This knot is strong and very low profile with no issues going through your rod guides and to the reel.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »
Have fished up in Maine the last month with Suffix siege camo 12lb and broke off zero fish...in 10 days of pretty tuff fishing with the water temps in the mid to high 70's I threw a lot of casts but the bites I got were all decent fish with a baby brush hog catching the best and a custom made blk/brown 3/8oz jig with a hand poured craw getting the biggest bites. Brown and green fish in Maine is the best fishing in new England by a long shot...back up in Oct. for a day at the fair and 6 on the water. Just for the record floro is over rated imho!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:05:43 PM by 190SCR »