Author Topic: Trout Opening Day  (Read 1668 times)

Offline renko

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6 lb Largemouth.
Trout Opening Day
« on: April 09, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »
Since this is my first year living in RI, I figured I should experience opening day of trout season, so I went over to Barber Pond on RT 2. Arrived at 5:30am and it was pretty packed but I slipped my kayak in with no hassle. Waited around till 6 and started throwing rooster tails and small Rapala shad raps (had no time to grab any bait, plus I like the challenge of artificials). It was slow early and the only people I noticed catching anything had either power bait or shiners. After a while of watching fish jump all around me and catching nothing, I decided to troll a silver Mooselook Wobbler. I hooked up within 30 seconds and caught a nice rainbow. Things started turning on and I landed my new PB brokie and another rainbow. Called it quits around 10. Not a bad first opening day, I actually thought it would be a lot more crowded than it was after hearing all the hype. It was also my new kayaks maiden voyage, no more inflatable for me  :thumbup: Nice to actually have rod holders and storage!  ;D I almost always practice catch and release, but I love me some grilled trout a few times a year so these will feed the family tomorrow night!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:10:24 PM by renko »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Trout Opening Day
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:57:54 PM »
@renko Great job! And nice brookie for sure  ;D

For some reason, I don't think opening day was as busy today as in years past. The lousy weather all week might have been part of the problem. Either way, it worked out well for you  :thumbup:

Offline renko

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6 lb Largemouth.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »
Thank you! @Curt - RI  did you get out there today? If so, where did you go and did you have any luck?

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
Thank you! @Curt - RI  did you get out there today? If so, where did you go and did you have any luck?

No, I didn't get out Saturday. I spent some time at the range first thing and then spent the day with my wife, hanging out and running errands  :)

I will be getting out this week though!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
Haven't been out on opening day in years.

I used to go all the time but now i wait till the once a year fishermen have their fun :thumbup:

Offline Brazzy

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:01 AM »
Welcome to RI. Good for you for getting out there. Glad you had a good time.

Agree with Joe P absolutely. 60,000 people who fish once a year. It can be brutal. I always avoided putting a boat in the water, even a kayak or canoe because of the fact that it usually turns into bumper boats out there. Ive skipped the past couple of years, but when I did go I would usually hit Spring Grove Pond in Chepachet and fish from the shore. The reason I picked that was because along the road there is a lot of heavy brush and there are a few small clearings that can only fit 1 or 2 people. So I wouldn't have to deal with the nonsense as much since no one would be near me but my partner.

People tend to do OK with rooster tails, spoons, etc.. But I would typically use the powerbait hatchery formula and limit out pretty quickly... Which I find to be pretty boring considering the hassle of dealing with the masses. This year I avoided it all together and went to Sawdy on Sunday instead.
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
It's been quite a few years since I've fished on opening day, but when I do go, I usually opt just to go bass fishing, and almost always on a lake with no trout   :nod: