Author Topic: Making a move to Lowrance  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Making a move to Lowrance
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:42:49 AM »
Changing around some of my electronics on the boat. I have always had Humminbird and now I'm going to try Lowrance. I just picked up a new Lowrance Elite 7TI w/ structure scan. Some gift cards really made it easy, considering it took a chunk out of the cost.  :yes:  Really like the feature set on these things.

Not 100% sure if I'll make the move completely from Humminbird yet but wanted to test this unit out. If it works out I'll grab a 2nd unit for the front of the boat!

I'll keep you posted on what I think as soon as I can get in the water!

-Mitz

Offline 190SCR

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • The scale never lies, but yours might be broken.
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: Champion 190SCR Mercury 3 Liter
Re: Making a move to Lowrance
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 10:04:36 PM »
You'll like it! Never was a Bird fan but I have mostly used Lowrance thru the years, well this year i went from Lowrance to raymarine. Couldn't pass up the deal and they even gave me a $100 just for going to a boat show and viewing their products.

2, a98's front and helm with a flir camera and saved $1500
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 10:15:09 PM by 190SCR »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
@Mitz It'll be interesting to see how you like the Lowrance compared to the birds. Please do keep us posted on your opinions as you adjust to the unit.

@190SCR Keep us updated on how you like the Raymarine! There are so many companies out there now that offer awesome electronics for fishing. I've even looked at the Garmin units. They've come out with some great stuff in the last couple of years too.  :yes:

Offline jonnov3

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
  • Any Smallies in here?
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 16 Foot Fisher (Quabbin Boat) and OldTown angler kayak
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
I was using elite 4 and 5 HDI's last season on boat and kayak. Ive upgraded to two elite 7ti's with total scan transducers. One transducer is on kayak and other on boat. I haven't yet had the boat out. Im waiting for an adapter cable for the front HDI transducer on trolling motor for front elite 7ti.
My boat is a 16 foot fisher QUABBIN boat.

Ive had the kayak out several times and have come to love the side scan. got some nice screen shots. Ill see if i can upload a couple. I had to add a second battery in the kayak since these are using alot more power than the HDI 4 i was using last year.

I originally bought ONE hds gen 3 seven and was playing with it for like a month until a lowrance rep at a show told me about the 7ti's coming out. i returned the hds and got 2 elite 7ti's for the same price. I have a tablet ill be using on the front to view the console unit when ever i want to not walk back to the console, like when im using the electric motor
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 10:57:32 AM by jonnov3 »

Offline jonnov3

• Guppy
  • Any Smallies in here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
heres a few

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 06:50:32 PM »
@jonnov3 That's some pretty amazing detail!! Thanks for sharing your experience so far, and your opinions. Valuable info for forum members  :thumbup:

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 11:52:10 AM »
I just got mine hooked up and ready to go. I found a good series on youtube that covers some of the basics. Now just need to finish the last few things on the boat and get a day to find some water!

Here is the link to the 1st video there are 5 parts.

Offline Brazzy

• Bluegill
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB 8lbs 4oz, SMB 5lbs 0oz
  • My Boat: Tracker 195 TXW - 150 Mercury
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
Im on the brink of ordering a Humminbird Helix 9 SI. I only have experience with Humminbird and will continue to do research, but what is your first impression of the Lowrance and how would you compare it to the Humminbird. Is there something that I should consider in just looking at Humminbird? Basically, should I spend some time looking into the Lowrance too? Whats the selling point on these?
Bear Hill Baits

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »
I have always had humminbird units and I needed a change of flavor. The Lowrance out of the box looks pretty sharp with a ton of features my Humminbirds don't have. Wifi, Bluetooth, touchscreen and many features in the menus...

So I'm excited to get on the water and put it to work!

Offline Patrick

• Shiner
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2015 Ranger RT 178 with 75 HP
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 12:44:19 PM »
My only experience has been with Hummingbird. I love having the 360 up front. Took a little time to fine tune having little experience with fishing electronics.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
I looked at the Helix units at BPS last month. Very impressive screen clarity and nice easy menu.

Makes me want to upgrade my 998's  ::)

Offline jonnov3

• Guppy
  • Any Smallies in here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »
i like recording and having gofree make me personal maps. found a sweet secret hole doing it last year. With the elite 4 and 5's i was using last year could only have one map on each sd card, so i had a bunch of cards and just changed them out as i changed places. with the gen3 and elite ti you can have as many maps on one card as you want, just put them in folders.
i also like how i can connect a phone or tablet via wifi to the ti at the console and look at it or control it while on the trolling motor up front.
basiclly these new ti units are pretty dang close to the gen3 units without the massive price tag

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 02:49:14 PM »
All I can say is WOW!! I don't have much time with using the Lowrance Elite 7TI on the water but in the short time I have used it I like it a lot.

Settings, custom screens, bluetooth, Wifi are all easily accessible and more features than you ask for. 

The one thing I'm trying to figure out is loosing depth once I get up to speed. Most forums are saying just tweak the transducer a bit and that should do it. I'll report back on that.

-Mitz

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
What iv'e read online is Lowrance transducers don't read well at speeds ???   

Guy i work with has same issue and the one that came with my boat (shoot thru ducer) wont read at speeds.
Other than that they are real nice units!

Offline jonnov3

• Guppy
  • Any Smallies in here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 07:28:06 PM »
im having problems losing sonar at speeds, but not depth. was using elite hdi last season and had sonar and down imaging at speeds. Only does about 20mph. I was told i should have sonar at speeds with the total scan so i guess ill have to play with it.

i took of the mounting plate i had on back and hacked it up but want to put it back on so ill have to do that. I want to flip so cord comes out front again so side scan clears bottom end better. i moved motor back 7 inches and up some. Im now looking for a 8 inch jack plate to replace the mini jacker and spacing im on now.

Im sick of playing with it