Author Topic: Trolling motor upgrade  (Read 3434 times)

Offline kp1267

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
  • Northeastbass.com Rocks!
    • View Profile
Trolling motor upgrade
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:29:26 PM »
I recently purchased a Tracker txw and it came with the standard minn kota edge 45lb thrust with one interstate battery. I would like to get more hours/power from my trolling motor, would I be better off upgrading to a higher thrust and adding a second battery of going to a 24V system?? Any advice would be helpful.
Kevin

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
Re: Trolling motor upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:09:36 PM »
Kevin

Congrats on the new boat. If you don't upgrade your trolling motor now you will later.  A 24v trolling motor will give you a longer usage time with 70 - 80 lb thrust that works great if you fish any tournaments that can be over 8 hours! And you will need it if the lake is trolling only or less than 10hp gas! You can sell you old trolling motor on eBay easily and get top dollar! You should check the wire gage yo the trolling motor seeing you should upgrade it to a larger gauge to prevent it from burning up or catching fire. You will need a new connector and breaker for it. The batteries should be the same and I think a gell battery will last longer with better performance. I have a Tracker 175 that I bought new in 2001 and upgraded in the first year to 24v. Good luck.

Bob W.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline kp1267

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
Thanks Bob, that's how I was leaning but wanted some advice from others who have already made the upgrade. What did you buy for your upgraded motor? Is 65lb thurst ok or does it need to be 70-80 lb?

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 08:44:39 PM »
Go with an 80 thrust if you can afford it, I had a 55 12v on my tin boat  then I went to a 70 24v then upped it to an 80 and was very happy with it. The 70 was good but the 80 was a lot better  You are better to overpower than underpower. I've got an 80 on my glass boat and  in windy conditions it just doesn't have the power to pull the boat all day and make any headway when needed. I'm upgrading to  36v 109 thrust within the next couple weeks.

Another thing the higher you run the motor the shorter running time your batteries will last.  So lets say if you're running your 65 24v at 100% for 5 hours your batteries will be drained, you can run an 80 at 50% for the same speed and your batteries will last 12 or more hours. Those are just estimated figures but you should understand the math. Running a trolling motor at 50% or less saves a lot of battery power anything over that can double the draw on amps per hour on the batteries. 
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »
Get a 80 lb maxxum, you won't  regret it!  I have the Fortex but the maxxum is fine for the tracker.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 10:47:59 AM »
I've had two Minn Kota Maxxums and they're fantastic trolling motors.

As the others have said, go for the 80 lb. thrust and 24 volts and you won't regret it.

Just remember that in order to run 24 volts, the batteries will need to be wired in series and you should have 2 batteries just for the TM, with a third battery dedicated to your starter and onboard accessories (electronics, livewell, etc.).

Wire size should be 6 gauge from front to back, with a circuit breaker wired into it.

If you follow the info given here in these posts you can't go wrong.

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 04:15:38 PM »
Kevin

Like everyone else is saying, go with the 72-80 lb!  I have had both Motorguide and Minn Kota and think the Min Kota is a little better. Good luck
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline kp1267

• Guppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 07:20:23 PM »
Thanks to everyone this will make the decision easier.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
Thanks to everyone this will make the decision easier.

You're welcome Kevin. That's what we're all here for  ;D

Offline bassman74

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +5/-2
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 2016 Z18 W/150 PROXS
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:02:32 PM »
I upgraded my tracker to the 70lb minnkota, was able to use the factory wire and breaker, made the install much easier and 70lbs is plenty for my TV-18, almost knock me out of the boat if your not paying attention. Also bought the long shaft for windy/rough days