Author Topic: Lowrance elite 5  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Bassaholic

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +5/-0
  • Cant get enough BASS
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.2lb LMB(RI) 4.28 SMB (VT)
  • My Boat: 2009 Uncle bucks pond prowler!
Lowrance elite 5
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »
Just purchased my first Lowrance unit. An elite 5 non DSI gps/fishfinder combo. Very pleased with it so far but i am having trouble getting it setup properly.

I have a big issue with surface clarity/clutter. I have huge areas of color at the top of my screen thats really interfering with whats below and i almost have a picture that is useless on my fish finder right now.

Does anyone else here have one of these unit and may be able to help me out with setup? I have personally tried the shallow water and freshwater settings as well as messing with the surface clarity option, nothing really seems to help. I may have my sensitivity too high, or too low. im sure if i sit with it for long enough i can figure it out, But i wanted to ask here first to see if there are any shortcuts/ 
You got da big ones out there eatin the little ones

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Lowrance elite 5
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »
Reset it to factory defaults and try it on auto before you change any settings at all. Once you get a feel for how it looks like that, then you can try tweaking the settings to your own preferences.

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
Turn the sensitivity down just to clean the screen.

Offline Bassaholic

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Cant get enough BASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:28:38 PM »
So i watched a few videos of how to set them up and its funny how not matter what i do i feel like i will never get it too look like it does on simulator mode! i have changed the sensitivity around quite a bit and i get almost zero arches from fish just a bunch of lines, I can see detail on the bottom but it just looks like a cluttered mess on the rest of the screen. Even in automatic mode it still looks like junk  ??? ???

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
where is the transducer mounted, sounds like your getting interference from the trolling motor!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 03:06:46 PM »
I think Joe is right. And keep in mind that you will almost NEVER get it to look like it does in simulator mode. That gives you a picture under perfect conditions, which you will never encounter in the real world.

And as for not seeing arches, you will very rarely see those in the real world, either.

Check out Joe's suggestion regarding interference. It might very well be your problem.

Offline Bassaholic

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Cant get enough BASS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
So after reading my manual several times and doing more research I got everything looking good, turns out I need to turn up surface clarity and noise rejection and that really cleaned things up. As fat as were its mounted the TM is no wear near the ducer. Things def look a lot better tho its still hard to determine what is a fish and what is not. I guess more tweaking is in order

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
So after reading my manual several times and doing more research I got everything looking good, turns out I need to turn up surface clarity and noise rejection and that really cleaned things up. As fat as were its mounted the TM is no wear near the ducer. Things def look a lot better tho its still hard to determine what is a fish and what is not. I guess more tweaking is in order

Glad to hear that you got it looking better.

Don't sweat the fish thing too much. Just remember that your main reason for using it is to find places that hold fish, not necessarily to see the fish themselves.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see the fish too, but you're better off to spend more time looking for fish-holding spots and less time looking to see actual fish on the screen ;)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:29 AM »
I use my graphs to see structure not the fish. Find the structure you find the fish ;)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
I use my graphs to see structure not the fish. Find the structure you find the fish ;)

Exactly  :)