Author Topic: Transducer Mounting options: Am i doing it right?  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Bassaholic

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +5/-0
  • Cant get enough BASS
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.2lb LMB(RI) 4.28 SMB (VT)
  • My Boat: 2009 Uncle bucks pond prowler!
Transducer Mounting options: Am i doing it right?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:11:43 AM »
So last season i bought an Echo 150 from Garmin. Entry level fish finder but works great for my small boat.

I have a pontoon style boat and im not sure if i have it mounted correctly! Most people say to mount it on the transom of the boat in smooth water flow. Personally i move my boat around so much without a trailer that i fear i would break the transducer at some point while moving the boat.

So my other option is on the Trolling motor. Below is a picture of how mine is set up:

Now my Trolling motor is my Primary means of getting around. So this is on the back of my boat, not the front. The transducer is currently facing towards the front of my boat. So i have a few questions now.

1. Is this mounted correctly?
2. With the transducer facing forward, i am looking at what is currently under my boat on the screen correct?
3. If i were to make a custom mount for the transducer so it is in the front of the boat, sitting in even water flow, in theory i could see what is out in front of the boat correct?
You got da big ones out there eatin the little ones

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Transducer Mounting options: Am i doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »
Sully, with a boat the size of yours, mounting the transducer in an area with smooth water flow isn't an issue. This only comes into play on boats with outboards that can put the boat up on plane.

Your best bet is to do the TM mount.

As for your setup, you will be viewing what's under the boat, not what's ahead of or behind the boat, so if you fish from the back of the boat and have the TM mounted on the transom, you're seeing what's under you.

If you created a bracket that placed the transducer in the front, you would be seeing what's coming up, if you were sitting in the back.

Regarding the way you have the transducer mounted, it's backwards.

Think of the transducer as a little boat that should be going in the same direction as your boat. So just turn it around and you should be all set.

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Bassaholic

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +5/-0
  • Cant get enough BASS
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6.2lb LMB(RI) 4.28 SMB (VT)
  • My Boat: 2009 Uncle bucks pond prowler!
Re: Transducer Mounting options: Am i doing it right?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
Thanks curt appreciate the help!
You got da big ones out there eatin the little ones