Author Topic: Humminbird interference with Trolling Motor  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +70/-0
  • Work to fish. Until I can Fish for work!
    • View Profile
  • My Boat: 04 Tracker Avalanche, 115 Mercury
Humminbird interference with Trolling Motor
« on: April 09, 2012, 09:36:41 AM »
So I'm pretty sure a few other members in the forums also have an issue with interference between the trolling motor and the hummingbird head units. I just installed a new 788ci and now when I press the button on my minnkota TM foot-pedal the screen goes crazy. Depth jump to hundreds of feet and rendering the unit useless. As soon as you take you foot off the TM pedal it returns to normal.

When I get home today I plan on doing a few basic tests:

1. Make sure power and "data" cables are run separately
2. Check the ground and make sure its secure
3. Move the transducer off the TM head as far as I can and see if the issue still happens

Setup: 101lb Minnkota 36V TM connected to 3 batteries, Humminbird 788 transducer mounted to TM and Humminbird 898 transducer mounted to back of the boat, both get power from the Cranking battery. Both units are connected to the inter-link and the 898 does not get interference.

Are there others out there who have this issue? Has it been resolved?
I'm going to update this as I go hopefully getting it resolved because it is really annoying!!!

Mitz

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
Re: Humminbird interference with Trolling Motor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »
I was able to get out on the water this weekend and noticed a HUGE difference with my interference issue. It isn't completely gone but it is better.

Before when I pressed the TM button the depth would just to 60, 80, 100+ ft and the display was useless. This weekend I would only get a few vertical lines and not lose the bottom. (Except in some shallow locations)

The only changes I made:
1. Made sure all wires carrying power were as far to one side of the boat as possible and all other wires on the other side.
2. Applied the new firmware updates to the Unit
3. Beefed up the ground connection and replaced a few old fuses

Still need to call Humminbird but there is small progress

Mitz

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:16 AM »
Mitz, thanks for the updates on this. I'm sure it will help anyone else who has the same problem.

Offline bezerk

• SRIBA
  • Shiner
  • Applause: +4/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »

Offline Mitz

• Global Moderator
  • Largemouth Bass
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 09:14:49 AM »
Yeah they have a great forum! I stop in there often to check out stuff. The only thing I haven't tried is adding an inline 3 amp fuse. Maybe that will clean up the last bit of interference.

I also received a response from Humminbird Support:

Thank you for contacting Humminbird. We appreciate your interest in our products.  If your trolling motor has a built in US2 transducer, make sure the fuse in the head of the trolling motor is not blown.   Next check the installation of the transducer on the trolling motor.  Once the cable comes into the boat, make sure it is not wrapped around or next to the trolling motor power cable.  If so - move apart as far away as possible.  Interference can feed through the cables if they are close.   Also you power - do you have the unit power going to a fuse panel or directly to the cranking battery?
If on a fuse panel or switch, try running the power direct to the cranking battery with a 3 amp inline fuse.   

Mitz