Author Topic: baitcaster  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Pete - MA/ME

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
baitcaster
« on: April 20, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »
Ok, finally gonna try a baitcaster this season.
Never have used one before, just spinning rods, but been using a spincaster last 2 yrs, so hopefully grip is similar.
My question is which one?  There are soooooo many, ugh!

I fish mostly top water from shore, canoe, or 12' alum boat. Use "walk the dog" lures, avg. 3/8oz on 8-10lb mono.

Probably something with the best "ease of use" and cost quality?  :D
I'm guessing that best performance will be overkill for me.  Since I've never been in (or to) a tourny, or fish outta a bass boat, im also thinking durability won't be an issue. And i've fished the past 2 yrs on that $40 spincast combo and it's been fine.

Just looking for something i can cast a longer distance really.
Thanks 
Topwater Smallies!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
Re: baitcaster
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
Fishing from shore you will probably get longer casts with a spinning rod.

If you want to try a baitcaster go to a Dicks Sporting Goods if you have one, they have some decent combos that wont break the bank!

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:18:52 AM »
Pete, I actually did the same thing a couple of years ago and purchased a Quantum combo for about $49 and there is currently a Daiwa combo for a little more than that.

I recommend a 6'6 rod, medium heavy rod with a fast tip. This will give you the most bang for your buck and allow you to throw everything from a jig, to spinners, to tubes, to just about anything you want. Just be sure that you match the weights of your lures to what is recommended on the rod. Otherwise it will be backlash city.

Best thing you can do is get a cheap combo first and practice, practice and practice some more with your combo till you are completely comfortable with it. I would make sure that you set your tension high where when you engage the reel the lure really does not fall unless you shake the rod and also be certain your breaks are set all the way. This will help to eliminate backlashes as you get better with your reel and you can back it down from there.

Two years later and I am just now considering upgrading my baitcasting setup so that I can have another rod specific for techniques that I have confidence in.

Good luck!  ;D
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
Matt has some good info, but if you're fishing light line (10 lb. test and under) you'll want to go with a Medium action rod instead of Medium-heavy.

And Joe is right too. Dick's Sporting Goods has some decent combos for a good price.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 01:31:49 PM »
IMHO and through first hand knowledge, I would not go with an inexpensive BC even as my first reel, it will disappoint you in performance and perhaps turn you off to baitcasters in general.  Fishing out of a kayak also presents some challenges fishermen don't face when in a larger boat and on shore.  Therefore, you want the best equipment you can afford to overcome or mitigate those kayak issues.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than the performance comparable to a  Shimano Citica or higher up model or a Diawa TD.  Go less expensive on the rod and get the better reel.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Pete - MA/ME

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 02:14:17 PM »
Thanks all for you input!  (hehe, it's like you guys are reading my mind...)
I'll go with a 6 or 6-6 med rod, anything bigger is too much of a pain to walk around and fish in tight place with.
Do you think moving up to 12lb (instead of 10lb) would be better for learning?  I don't think it will effect my lure action so much that I can't compensate?
The more info and research on the reels I can get should make it easier to decide, so thanks again.
Topwater Smallies!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
Heavier line definitely has less backlashes, especially with less expensive reels, so moving up to 12 lb. line for the learning phase would be a great idea.

One thing I can't stress enough when you go to make that first cast or two is not to cast too hard! The typical overhead "whip-it-out-there-as-far-as-you-can" cast will result in the mother of all backlashes  :o

So try some soft sidearm lobs at first, with the brake tightened down pretty good. And then back the brake off a little at a time until you get more comfortable with it. Also, start with a lure that's on the heavy side, like 3/8 oz. or a little more for thise first few casts.

Offline RAYZCT

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +22/-0
  • Hawg Forum Rod Building Guru
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 6lb 5 oz LMB 5lb 6 oz SMB
  • My Boat: Tracker 170 25hp 4 stroke
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 05:28:27 PM »
I was fortunate enough back in the early 90's to take a business trip to Florida where I was able to put in side trip to Lake Okeechobee to fish with a pro guide for a day.  He was a great guide and even gave me instructions on casting a baitcaster.

Set your spool brake control at 50%, centrifugal with pins half out and the other half in.  Set the spool cast control so that a hanging lure will slowly drop with a little shake of the rod.

Push down on the spool release bar then put your thumb on the line on the spool.

Start with an overhand cast letting your thumb off the spool when the rod reaches the 2 o'clock position and stop the cast at the 10 o'clock position.  Imagine you are trying to cast the lure over a high wall and follow Curt's advice, do not cast hard, let the rod do the work.

I practiced with this method until I got comfortable then move to 3/4's, roll, etc.
Z-Man Custom Rods & Rod Repair

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:24 PM »
Shimano® Curado® E Baitcast