Author Topic: The rules have changed  (Read 10383 times)

lexbassbuzzin

The rules have changed
« on: February 15, 2011, 09:12:57 AM »
For salwater fishing in the northeast for 2010 you needed to register with the NOAA. It was a simple form you could do online and you print out your temp registration and your card came in the mail. Last year it was stated - on the  MA Div of Marine Fisheries, anyway - that by registering with the NOAA you can saltwater fish in any state as long as you have you registration card. They also stated that fees would be $10.00 for 2011 and, again, as long as you are registered you can fish in any state.

Well guess what, you can't. Here in MA you can get you "Recreation Saltwater Fishing Permit" for $10.00 and as of February 11, 2011 you can only fish in states that have a reciprocity agreements which, for now, only includes MA, NH, RI.

The northeast states have been balking at the federal government's registration mandate for years and now it looks like they won. Now I have to get a separate "permit" to saltwater fish in ME.

I need to do a little research to see if I can just register with the NOAA and make it an all encompassing, like the original laws were established. If anyone has any insight on this, please post it here.

I know what happened and why and I guess I can't blame the 3 states as mentioned above for doing this.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: The rules have changed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »
Good info John.

Any time there are multiple states involved it can get kind of sticky. It almost always boils down to funds, and how they should be distributed.

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 01:42:35 PM »
Maine does it right, IMHO. If you have a freshwater license you can fish the coastal waters. Simply answer the "Did you fish in the tidal waters of the State of Maine last year?" type of question on the online application page, then there is no fee. If you do not posses a fresh water fishing license then you need to apply for a "Striped Bass Endorsement" for $5.00 residents and $15.00 non-resident. Reciprocity with NH only covers to Cape Neddick, which I beleive is in York (figures, just south of me) and, to me, seems kind of cheesy.

Offline flippy

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
REALLY???

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
REALLY???

Not sure what you're asking? Or are you surprised by what's in thread? I'm just curious and confused at the same time. I'm not trying to be wise guy either, but I was doing a little head scratching when I first looked this up b/c I like to striper fish in ME during the summer.

Ohe well, if you have any questions on this, I'll try and help you.

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Never have gone striper fishing, but I want to try it out this year!
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Alex - RI

• Guppy
  • Applause: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Never have gone striper fishing, but I want to try it out this year!

I am in to surf casting hard core.  Let me know if you want to get out.  They are here.