Author Topic: Crazy Crappie Question  (Read 3831 times)

Offline wschwarz

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Crazy Crappie Question
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »
I know several guys down south that would rather fish in a crappie tournament than anything else.  Is there any crappie tournament type events in New England?  If not would there be any interest?  I can't wait to see the response.  Thanks for the feedback ahead of time.

Bill
Bill Schwarz
TD for the Maine Bass Challenge
www.mainebasschallenge.com
Advertising and Marketing for
www.onlinefishermen.com

Offline flippy

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy Crappie Question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
I never heard of one in CT, the only crappie tournys I know are the ones I dont take money.

Offline marcp

• Guppy
  • Applause: +2/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:51 PM »
I've done crappy in quite a few tournaments!! :D

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
I don't think we have the amount of fish on many or any of the ponds here for a tournament. The only time I can find a fair amount of fish is prespawn when their schooling. It's not my target species when I'm out on the water but I do go out a few times a year to try to get some for the frying pan. Most of the time I'm lucky if I can catch enough to make a meal just for myself.

A few year back the RI Junior Bassmasters held a pickerel tournament on a lake known for a good pikerel population, twenty boats showed up and not one pickerel was caught. 
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:46:12 PM »

It's not my target species when I'm out on the water but I do go out a few times a year to try to get some for the frying pan. Most of the time I'm lucky if I can catch enough to make a meal just for myself.

I've heard that crappie make very good table fare, but I've only had fresh fish caught from the sea. Anyone else try freshwater fish? I actually want to try either crappie or bluegill this year, to be honest with you.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:24:25 PM »
Crappie are delicious to eat!! They are a very white, flaky meat with little or no fishy taste or smell (think flounder or fluke). Because of their shape, they're pretty easy to fillet.

Bluegill are equally as good, as are yellow perch.

All of these are best to eat if caught before the water gets too warm (65 degrees and under), in my opinion  ;)

Fillet them, dip them in egg and roll them in bread crumbs. Then fry them in a pan with only a small amount of very light oil in the bottom of the pan.

Then enjoy  :P

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:06:55 AM »
Perch and Crappie sure are tasty, they are best when caught through the ice  8)  

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:39 PM »
I've never ate white perch, was told many years ago not good table fare. Anybody here ever eat them? As for yellows, and blue gill, good eaten. A lot of work cleaning blue gills for a decent meal. SM bass are also good eating, LM a little mooshy not so good.

Growing up I lived in Cranston with my house on Print Works Pond (locals called to Dyers Pond but Dyers is another lake not far off). I was 14 when I got my first fly rod and used to catch blue gill all day long. One day this black guy was fishing the bank near me and told me not to throw my fish back, that he would buy them from me. He would give me $5.00 for a 5 gallon pail full of blue gills. Back then on the pond I could catch almost a fish on every cast. So once a week when he was there I was making more then I was getting for an allowance from my parents.  Started and fed my obsession with fishing.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

Offline bassamatic

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +30/-0
  • Hawgs eat frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:21 PM »
i wish someone would run one.i belive if u know what ur doin almost all of the lakes in the area have enough to have tournys.i am not sayin they are thick everywhere but a five or six fish limit would work on most lakes.and if it was set up fer crappie u would pick the best of the lakes to hold them on.
as far as eatin them,other then yeller perch and bluegills they r all i eat.why pay 8bucks a pound fer fish when in my opinion crappie is the best eatin freshwater fish there is other than maybe old greeneyes.growin up in the glades we fished fer them all the time.goin to SC late next month to fish fer 5lb crappie on vaca.if u or anyone else want to run one PLEASE post them here on this site.although maybe on page 2. ;)
my opinions r my own and should not be taken as those of this site or its members.