Author Topic: "When Vacations Attack"  (Read 2717 times)

lexbassbuzzin

"When Vacations Attack"
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
I was flipping thru the channels last night during the halftime of the Celtic game and landed on the Travel Channel and was watching an episode on this program.

I just happened to catch from the middle to the end of this episode, but, they were showing a guy kayak fishing for shark off the California coast. He had 2 rods, one on either side of the kayak, trolling saltwater jerkbaits. He hooks a shark, but somehow, the other bait came flying out of the water and the belly treble hook gets lodged into his chin all the down to the shank. Every time the shark made a run one way, for some reason the hook in his chin got deeper (not sure how it was happening, but that's how he explained it). The hook was so deep that the barb was stuck into the bone.

A couple of his friends paddle over and it took a while just to cut the hook off with a pair of pliers. The guy, who appears to be a nut, still has part of the hook in his chin and keeps on fishing. The next morning he has it surgically removed. 

Anyone catch that? I tried to get the vid of it, but can't find it yet.

Offline Bob W - RI

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +96/-0
  • Get the NET !!
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 7.19 lb LMB. Amos Lake, CT 2014
  • My Boat: Bass Tracker PT175
Re: "When Vacations Attack"
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:45:05 PM »
Lex 
    I saw the same clip on TV too. The guy got hooked by another guys lure that was behind him. The guy was pulling him backwards while the shark was pulling him forwards. So he had the let his pole go with the shark on it. After cutting the hook off his chin with the 1/2 inch barb still in is chin, he went back to fishing!

BobW.
Snack Time !     Get the Net !  ><((((º>

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
 :o

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »
Doh!!! :-\
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
Ahhhh...No wonder why the hook was getting deeper. If I was that guy who hook him, I would have really felt like crap. That LOOKED painful. Then he lets his rod and reel go. That setup wasn't your average Wally World end of the year special. The guy who embedded the lure should be on the hook for that loss (see what i did there)... ;D ;D

I don't know though, kayaking for 300 lbs shark? I love fishing, but I don't know if I would go to that extreme.

Offline fisher39

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 12:27:20 PM »
Dude is my hero. He is the ultimate man: tough, cocky and cool under pressure. His day could have been ruined, but he took it in stride, didn't go crazy on the guy who hooked him, and fished on despite having some of the hook left in his chin after it was cut off. The top it off, he jokes, "No scar. Won't scar this pretty face." Now that's my kinda guy.

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 02:33:33 PM »
Yeah, he fished on after draining a flask of booze...LOL

Welcome to NEB, fisher39!