Author Topic: Ames Farms @ Lake Winnipesaukee  (Read 3418 times)

Offline JD

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +5/-0
    • View Profile
Ames Farms @ Lake Winnipesaukee
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »
I stayed here for a few days 2 weeks ago and had a great time once the wind laid down some. They have rooms, houses, and 10 cottages right on the shore in Gilford. My cottage was literally 25 feet from the lakes edge with a private beach area. I researched most of the resorts on the lake before going up and chose this one since they have their own (2) paved launches. The cottages range from 1 bedroom models to 2 & 3 room versions. They are complete with kitchens, full baths, living room with awesome views of the lake and screen porches. The resort is located on the western shore and each morning I had my coffee and watched some great sunrises over the mountains. Did I mention that the smallies were cooperating too?!!  ;D BTW, lake Winni has landlocked salmon and lake trout too. I had a great fight with a laker that eventually had the fish the winner but it was unexpected that it picked up my swim bait on the fall and ran off almost a hundred feet of 10lb line before I got a handle on what happened to my cast, lol. Sadly, my line parted after a while. Man I was having a fantasy about that fish fry after getting a look at that huge trout......

The rate for my cottage was only $125 and was well worth it. Give them a try if you go up. The launches were paved and wide enough easily for my boat with ample parking. The ramps are only open to resort guests.

Look here: http://www.amesfarminn.com/main.htm
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:58:35 PM by JD »

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Ames Farms @ Lake Winnipesaukee
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:00:07 AM »
Awesome info JD!!

Thanks for letting us know about it. I have only been to Winni once many years ago and, unfortunately, I didn't get to wet a single line while I was there.

Someday I will, though, I guarantee it :)

Offline JD

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »
Thanks Curt

It is an awesome fishery. About 70 sq. miles of lake surface. A very clear lake, mostly large rock bottom, perfect for the smallies. It is river fed on the upper end with a dam on the lower. It is also 180'+ in the deepest area called the "Broads". There are literally 70+ islands. Biggest consideration was the wind/wave size. I have a 19' bass tracker and a 15 - 20 mph was creating 2.5+ whitecaps in the main lake. A slow wet experience to get across to the eastern shore, lol. There are a lot of large boats cruising around so situational awareness is pretty important to a person standing up with 1 foot on the pedal. Be safe and give it a try.

Online Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:32:50 AM »
My only experience there was on a flat calm day but it was still very rough from all the boat traffic. That place was crazy :o

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:35:44 AM »
I can't imagine doing Winni on a rough day in a Tracker  :o

Nothing against Tracker boats, but it has to be very wet and rough!

Offline JD

• Bluegill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:19 PM »
You are correct Curt, but it was either get my boat off the trailer or just hang out in the cottage wishing for flat water. I kept working the leeward side of the lake and basically had a great time other than when I got the grand idea to go across and fish the leeward side of the other shore. The ride across was pretty bouncy to be sure, but the fish made it worth while once I got over there. Sadly with all the gear I packed my canon was left at home so I was unable to document how cooperative the smallies were. Next trip I'll get some photo's!

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 11:20:14 PM »
Glad it worked out for you. Looking forward to those photos from the next trip!