Author Topic: Crappie on Topwater?  (Read 4595 times)

lexbassbuzzin

Crappie on Topwater?
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:03 AM »
Took the dog for a walk on Friday night and last night with a lot of success. In addition to catching LMB I was catching a fair amount of crappie. I never knew they wold hit a topwater lure, does this happen with you?

One other question: I've caught crappie in this particular res before on soft plastics and they were the typical black crappie color. The ones I caught last night and Friday night had the normal black spots, but these were very yellowish-green, almost like perch colored. The res has a good population of perch, crappie and pumpkinseed, so my question is, do you think the crappie interbred with the perch? I've never seen crappie this yellow in this body of water in all the years I fished there.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: Crappie on Topwater?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:10 AM »
I've caught crappie on just about anything I've caught bass on!! Topwater, Plastic Worms, Spinnerbaits, Jerkbaits, you name it.

As for the color of the fish, it can and will change from time to time depending on the water temps, what kind of cover they're holding on or near, etc.

Sounds like you had fun :)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 11:01:20 AM »
Most of the crappie i catch have the greenish-yellow hue to them!

Offline groti

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +33/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 05:24:51 PM »
I've caught crappie on anything you'll catch a bass or a trout on, even 12" rubber worms. As for the color I don't believe we have white calico bass here just the black strain. As with bass the color will vary with mood and water conditions. I've caught LM bass as black as can be, and sometimes almost all white to yeloowish with just  light brown to light green on just the top of the back.
Men and fish are alike, they both get in trouble when they open their mouths...

lexbassbuzzin

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
Thanks guys!

I've just never seen crappie this color in this body of water in my life.

They were def fun to catch! The strikes were as about a vicious as a bass, believe it or not. A lot of fun.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 06:55:09 PM by lexbassbuzzin »

Offline bassamatic

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +30/-0
  • Hawgs eat frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
have caught many crappie on topwater.as others have said most anything u catch bass on will catch them but like with all fish they like some better than others.as for the color, water,cover and time of year will change their color.i catch alot of crappie every year as its the only fish i fish for food and do not belive we have white crappie in this part of the country.i have even got them on frogs in the summertime.good luck and good fishin ;D
my opinions r my own and should not be taken as those of this site or its members.

Offline UglyFishinStick

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
  • Gotta grunt on the hookset
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 09:39:20 PM »
If they can fit it in their mouth, and sometimes even if they can't, crappie will hit it.  As for the color, most of the black crappie I catch have a yellowish hue to them.  There are also deffinatly white crappie in this area, so maybe those were the liter colored fish you were catching
"<{{{>< Fish For Life ><}}}>"

Msg me on skype or txt plus if your looking for a fishing partner on the North Shore, MA or in the lakes region in NH
Txt plus: (660) 655-4039

Offline bassamatic

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +30/-0
  • Hawgs eat frogs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:14 AM »
please tell me where we have white crappie in CT.the males during the the spawn will turn blackish,almost purple and the females keep their normal yellow green.i dont belive whites r even in the dep book for CT.again please tell me where u have found whites.
my opinions r my own and should not be taken as those of this site or its members.