Author Topic: crankbaits and bad hook jobs  (Read 2124 times)

Offline joshuatiska

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
crankbaits and bad hook jobs
« on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
I did a lot of fishing when I in my early teens, but stopped entirely when I needed to have a license.  I'm back to it now, and have been out a few times this year.  As a kid I always liked to use crankbaits, so I picked up a few and headed out.  I have had some success, but I keep hooking the fish really badly.  Invariably one hook winds up in the mouth but the other will often be in the eye, top of its head, or hooked into its side.  This makes it complicated to get the fish off the lure while I am in my kayak and I don't want to cause extra harm to fish that I am throwing back anyway.  I don't recall having so much trouble with this before.  How can I prevent this from happening? Is there something that I am doing when I set the hook that is causing this? Should I switch to some friendlier lures?
._____`)
   ```

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re: crankbaits and bad hook jobs
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
First of all, welcome to the forums!

As for the treble hook problems, this isn't uncommon... especially with larger baits. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot you can do except to try using smaller baits.

One other option to try would be to remove the rear treble hook. 99% of the fish you catch are hooked on the front hook anyway. Worth a shot.

Offline UglyFishinStick

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
  • Gotta grunt on the hookset
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 01:16:24 AM »
Try either using a smaller treble in the back or pinching down the barbs on the back hook.  I wouldn't recomend removing the back hook all together cause I'll often catch croppie on the back hook but you don't need as big a hook or barbs to land them.  Also, when fishing from a kayak I always bring a pair of extra long needle nose plyers with me to get out those tricky hooks with minimal harm to the fish.
"<{{{>< Fish For Life ><}}}>"

Msg me on skype or txt plus if your looking for a fishing partner on the North Shore, MA or in the lakes region in NH
Txt plus: (660) 655-4039

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:13:18 AM »
One other option that I had forgotten about is to replace the rear hook with a single hook instead of a treble.

Offline joshuatiska

• Guppy
  • Applause: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds good.  I went out this past Monday with out changing anything yet and had much less difficulty.  Being uncoordinated in the kayak once I had a fish out of water was my biggest problem.  I'm feeling a lot more confident about managing my equipment on such a small craft and caught a bunch of perch, a pickerel, and two small mouth 10-11 inches, my best trip so far. 

I'll give the single hook in the back a try when I go out next Monday, I assume I want to get the hook facing up?

I do carry a pair of needle-nose and they are a great help, but they are kind of beefy and not all that long.  I'll definitely invest in a more slender, longer pair.  Thanks for the tips!
._____`)
   ```

Offline UglyFishinStick

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +4/-0
  • Gotta grunt on the hookset
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
No problem, and yah definatly try the single hook out.  Good luck ;D
"<{{{>< Fish For Life ><}}}>"

Msg me on skype or txt plus if your looking for a fishing partner on the North Shore, MA or in the lakes region in NH
Txt plus: (660) 655-4039