Author Topic: Jon Boat mod  (Read 22049 times)

Offline JbassRI

• Shiner
  • Applause: +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • For all Your Archery and outdoor needs
Jon Boat mod
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:03:31 AM »
Hope you guys enjoy the pics or maybe get ideas for your own. Any questions feel free to ask.
Deck and live well uncovered

Live well

Front storage

Storage, live well, battery box

Front deck complete

The boat complete

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Jon Boat mod
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »
Looks great!!! Can we figure out something for my canoe??? :)
Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline muddywaters

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +8/-0
  • I don't need no stinkin She man O reels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »
Very nice work, I hope you catch a ton
If it involves more than drinkin coffee and fishin, I ain't interested

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 10:40:18 AM »
Looks awesome! Customizing a boat like this is a ton of fun. Catching fish from it afterward is even more fun :)

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:48:28 AM »
Cool project, looks like a great boat for small hard to get to areas 8)  Is that a 14 footer?

Offline JbassRI

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 06:55:05 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys! Yes joe it is a 14 footer. I got the complete set up boat trailer and 4 hp merc from bass pro 2 years ago. just did the modifications in march.

Offline discovery16

• Guppy
  • Applause: +6/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:42:50 PM »
Nice job jbassri,

I did something similar years ago to my 16' alum semiV hull.  A few questions.  How did you do the tank seat to put in the livewell?  I see you cut a hole in it.  What did you use for the tank?  I considered doing that to mine but decided to use a basement slop sink for my livewell.  It worked well except for a couple of things.  My deck is dark brown (absorbs a lot of heat)and my compartments underneath have little ventilation and gets very warm as does my tank ( and water for my fish).  Also my tubing in and out are the same size and it will not drain as fast as the water comes in from the pump so I can't just recirculate all the time. 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Bill

Offline JbassRI

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:24:18 PM »
I first cut a hole and removed the styrofoam. I used 1" insulation board all the way around and then put plexiglass. siliconed all the seams and used expansion foam around the top so it keeps the water from splashing out. I have 800gph inlet pump that connects to homemade spray bar, 3/4 pvc capped with holes in it. 500gph outlet. I don't leave it running just emty and fill when temp gets high. hope that helps.

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 06:15:46 AM »
man, that thibng is really all you need.  If you dont mind me asking, how much total do you have into that boat?  IM just curious, cause where I stand it doesnt seem like someone needs to spend 20-40k on some Champion boat or whatever at all....I mean, would you feel comfortable fishing in tourneys with that?  I dont see why not, right?  How much speed does the 4hp give ya?  I would assume plenty to get from one side of a lake to the other in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, right?  Nice job on the mod....boat looks great.  Im jealous and I want it! 8)

Offline JbassRI

• Shiner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 05:33:53 PM »
to do the mod it cost probably 300 for all the supplies to do the floors, decking and livewell. total package 3500 as it sits now. i have fished a couple tourney's with it. the only thing is keeping it still in the wind and capsizing from waves and bigger boats wakes. the 4hp i have had up to 11 mph maxed, i am looking for a 10hp right now.

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 07:47:54 PM »
man, that thibng is really all you need.  If you dont mind me asking, how much total do you have into that boat?  IM just curious, cause where I stand it doesnt seem like someone needs to spend 20-40k on some Champion boat or whatever at all....I mean, would you feel comfortable fishing in tourneys with that?  I dont see why not, right?  How much speed does the 4hp give ya?  I would assume plenty to get from one side of a lake to the other in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, right?  Nice job on the mod....boat looks great.  Im jealous and I want it! 8)

This is a touchy subject for sure. A boat is just a tool that helps you catch fish. What a person needs for a boat depends on how much they fish, where they fish, whether they tournament fish or not, etc., etc.

I agree that there are a lot of people running around out there with $30,000 bass boats who don't really need them, but it's their money that they're throwing away, not mine, so I don't worry about it!

I started out with a 10 ft. Jon boat and slowly moved up to an 18 foot boat, with my most recent being the G3 HP 180 that I currently own. Yes... it's fast, but it's not just about being fast. There are plenty of boats out there that will blow mine away when it comes to top end speed. But my boat is a tool that I use to catch bass... period.

If I had a smaller boat and tried to fish tournies in it, it would definitely impact how and where I fish. With this boat I'm comfortable running across a lake when it's windy or rough. I don't have to worry about being swamped by the wakes of other boats, or tipping it over if I move the wrong way in it while I'm fishing.

I remember having smaller boats and smaller motors and taking 10 minutes to cross Watchaug Pond or 15 minutes to cross Wordens Pond. I also remember some wild rides crossing these lakes when it was windy!!

It's all about personal preference. Whatever suits your style of fishing and your budget is what's right for for you ;)

It's kind of like the Fiberglass vs. Aluminum boat debate. Both types of boats have their place and some people have their preferences. I prefer aluminum because it's maintenance free, handles banging off a few rocks without having to worry about cracking the gel coat, etc. That's my preference, whereas someone else might prefer a glass boat hands down.

So if it works for you and you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters.  ;)

Offline bless

• Smallmouth Bass
  • Applause: +12/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »
I hear ya.  I dont have the $$ for a 30k boat, so I just meant that if you wanted, you could certainly do almost everything with that boat.  That said, if I had the $ I would have a Champion & not a jon boat.

Offline Matt L

• SRIBA
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:31 PM »
There was a time not too long ago where I was dying to have ANYthing that would get me on the water instead of in the water or on the shores. So I am quite content with my canoe for now and I am saving for a jon boat as the next step up. My problem is transporting the boat as I do not have a truck, so for now I will fish from my canoe, repair the fiberglass as needed and bring a cooler with me for a livewell if I fish a tourney.  :P

Awesome job on the modifications! Looks great and I may steal some of your ideas for when I have a jon boat. ;)

Don't let that stinking bass get away!!!!!

Offline Joe P

• Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +106/-0
    • View Profile
  • My Biggest Bass: 8 lbs 11 oz RI
  • My Boat: 2015 Stratos 186 VLO - 135HO Evinrude Etec
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »
Matt, a small boat like that can easily be towed with pretty much any type of auto.  Don't let that get in the way if you ever have the chance to step up to one :)  

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 11:23:38 AM »
Matt, a small boat like that can easily be towed with pretty much any type of auto.  Don't let that get in the way if you ever have the chance to step up to one :)  

Joe is 100% right. Jon boats can be towed on very small, lightweight trailers that can be hauled behind practically any vehicle, whether a car, mini van or small pickup. Best of all, these trailers are pretty cheap to buy if you shop around ;)