Author Topic: Banned Users and Spammers  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Banned Users and Spammers
« on: November 29, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
I had someone send me a private message recently regarding a forum member who had tried to login and got a message telling them that they were banned from the forums.

Unfortunately, I spend quite a bit of time each week deleting bogus accounts and accounts setup by people from Russia, China, Nigeria, etc. These accounts are setup for no reason other than to try to post SPAM messages here, selling some useless service.

In an effort to prevent them from coming back to the forums, I ban them permanently. The problem is that there are many thousands of them and only one of me, so I try to do the best that I can to ban them and only them. Occasionally, though, an innocent bystander might get caught in the net and accidentally get banned, even though they have done nothing wrong.

For this I apologize. It is not my intention to ban a regular user or an innocent bystander.

In light of this happening, I have changed the way I ban accounts, so the possibility of a regular or an innocent bystander getting locked out accidentally is almost zero. It does make it a little harder for me to keep up with the spammers, but it's just something that I have to do to make sure that nobody gets accidentally banned.

So... if you know anyone who is a forum user and they may not have been able to log in lately, please have them try again, as the restrictions that were previously in place have been removed.

Thanks for your help and your understanding.

Curt :)

Offline rollinbass

• Bluegill
  • Applause: +21/-0
  • I Love Northeastbass.Com!
    • View Profile
Re:Banned Users and Spammers
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 09:12:32 PM »
Yeehaa...back on the block.... ;D.....i was one that had tried to loged on a couple times and was told i was banned.... ???....i thought i mite have broke someone's pole or something... :'(.....but here i am ;D....Thank you very much for helping me out Curt , You have a great site and i enjoy it very much , I'm sorry i didnt get to post much this summer my house took a hit from lighting early in the year and i lost a couple TV's and a radio and my computer. And when i logedin and it said i was banned i thought that mite be why . So agian i,m sorry for lurking.. 8)...and thank you very much Curt , you'd the man... ;)      

Dave
ROLLINBASS

Offline Curt - RI

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Applause: +149/-0
  • Fish On!
    • View Profile
    • CurtSnow.com
  • My Biggest Bass: LMB - 9 lbs. 2 oz. (RI) 9 lbs. 14 oz. (California Delta) - SMB 5 lbs. 10 oz. (CT)
  • My Boat: 2007 G3 HP180 Yamaha 150 HP
Re:Banned Users and Spammers
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:58 PM »
Hey Dave, glad to have you back with us! Sorry about the mix up  ;)